New to this Forum, do you have a home weather station?

Poughkeepsie, NY(Zone 6a)

I just bought a Davis Vantage Vue. It's been up 3 days now is works great. Just wondering if other have their own station?

Thanks!

Anderson, IN(Zone 6a)

Only a thermometer ,getting round tuit one day.60,s today 40's tonight,wind 10 nto 15 with gusts to 25.

(Zone 7a)

I have one. It's a La Crosse Technologies station. The wind sensor is on the roof, the temp gauge is an the house wall and the rain gauge is out in one of the gardens.

McKinney, TX

I've got a Vantage Pro2 with added solar radiation sensor and leaf/soil station (4 moisture 2 temperature 1 leaf wetness). I've also got my Pro2 communicating with a Vue down the block as an extra temperature/humidity station.

As a backup I have a WMR200.

Note the attached picture shows the 2 vanes pointing in opposite directions LOL.

This message was edited Jul 31, 2012 1:01 AM

Thumbnail by FountainMan
McKinney, TX

Do you have WeatherLink? If so what program do you use? (included or 3rd party like Virtual Weather Station and Weather Display)

I don't have WeatherLink yet. As for software, none yet either but I hear Cumulus is well liked.

McKinney, TX

I use it and love it. It's perfect for the Vue. I use it with my WMR200 while my VP2 runs on Weather Display. Cumulus is good if you have no plans for adding sensors which isn't possible in the Vue but the VP2 and the add ons Weather Display handles it nicely. my WMR200 has a floating pond temperature sensor and 2 temperature and humidity sensors and Cumulus only tracks one. But like I said The Vue doesn't have add on sensors so it should run nicely. WeatherLink logs the data so if the computer is off there are no gaps and Cumulus automatically imports data from the logger.

Also Cumulus allows you to upload to Weather Underground, CWOP, PWS Weather, and WeatherBug.

McKinney, TX

Always nice to find other Weather Watchers here.

(Zone 7a)

Join us over on the daily weather. Everyone is welcome. We all love the weather around us.

Austin, TX(Zone 8b)

We've just bought a lacrosse wireless station( C86234). Any suggestion on installation/placement? The website gives us start up info, but not much about placement. We have trees near the house, so will need to place only the wind sensor on the roof.

(Zone 7a)

I have my wind gauge on the roof, the water gauge in the open area in a garden bed and the temp/barometer under the roof eave near where my computer and indoor station is. They are all close enough that they can talk to each other.

IIRC the wind gauge should be 33' high. I believe this is the recommended height. If all the instruments are separate.

Austin, TX(Zone 8b)

Thanks for info. We set them up out front just to make sure they work. They did. Now we just need to figure out where the highest point is on the roof for the wind sensor. Trees are in the way. The temp. Sensor is on the front porch for the time being. It's the only place that won't get baked by the sun. I'll be checking back as we will probably have more questions as newbies. Sandi

(Zone 7a)

Do your directions tell you how far away your equipment can be and still communicate?

Austin, TX(Zone 8b)

Yes, 200 feet.

McKinney, TX

Sorry if I'm posting to a month old topic

Here's a guide to siting http://www.srh.noaa.gov/media/epz/mesonet/CWOP-Siting.pdf

I live under an HOA so I had to compromise

Anemometer and pyranometer 25'
rain gauge temperature and humidity 9'

Range depends on models. Cheaper stations like Lacrosse Oregon Scientific Fine Offset and Acu-
Rite have ranges from 100' to 330' line of sight. Higher end stations like Davis and Rainwise have ranges around 1000' line of site but the higher end stations also have repeaters avalible. Good if you happen to own a large plantation. Higher end stations also typically use frequency hopping which means the stations use a wider spectrum of radio to transmitt through reducing the chance of lost sensors.

My station is getting a workout today! Sandy is almost here. Last gust here was 19 mph and recorded a 22mph gust at 10:30 this morning. It's supposed to gust to 70-80 mph tonight.

(Zone 7a)

All those threathened by Sandy, stay safe! Our thoughts are with you,

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.