Here is a new seedling under observation.

Milford, DE

It is a cross between 'Moonfire' and 'Verkade's Wintergold'. The other seedlings in the pictures are variations of the same seed lot. The seedling is 3 years old and is in a filtered sunlight. I am not sure yet of how it will take to the sun but my guess will be that it is going to burn.

Dave

Thumbnail by davesnursery Thumbnail by davesnursery
Norridgewock, ME(Zone 5a)

That is lovely.

Pepperell, MA(Zone 6a)

interesting leaf color - did you do the cross yourself?

Milford, DE

It was done by my brother in New Jersey.

Dave

Winnetka, IL

I'm putting my order in right now for 5 of them! ; )

Milford, DE

Thanks for your interest but I think it will be at least another year before the propagation can begin and that will be on a limited basis.

Dave

Winnetka, IL

I can be patient...

Williamstown, NJ(Zone 6b)

Looks almost like the Ornida Nakishki. I am sure that is spelled wrong. It has the soft pink to green leaves.

Wilmington, NC(Zone 8a)

Love it!! Can't wait to know what you name it!

Dave, what is a good fertilizer for JM?

Milford, DE

I use a slow release low nitrogen. Maples do not need much fertilizing so once a year is quite enough. I use about an 1/8 of a teaspoon on 4" pots.

I believe in another month or so I am going to make a come back with a new website and some material. I will only be growing material that collectors will be looking for. I do not have much room but I will have about 1,500 to 2,000 plants. Sure is a big difference from what I use to do.

Picture below is more pictures progressing from the first one April 5 to the others taken on April 24th. The name being considered is Acer palmatum Cheers. If any body has a name that they think would be nice let me know.

Dav

Thumbnail by davesnursery Thumbnail by davesnursery Thumbnail by davesnursery Thumbnail by davesnursery

That is a lot of plants Dave. Your new seedlings look great, I am sure you will find many JM growers wanting them. What are they called?

I have another question. One of my maples is growing all to one side. I am trying to to stake it now. I have one branch staked up hoping it will grow either more up or at least start going over to the other side. Good or bad?

Milford, DE

You're the artist do what pleases your eye.

This message was edited Apr 26, 2012 8:22 AM

Thanks Doc...lol

Pepperell, MA(Zone 6a)

marie i am sure you will have success staking the branches - the last couple years i have been training a many of mine and they seem to take to it quickly

Oh Dave, how much will your maples be going for?

Milford, DE

I am working out the prices now along with the re-potting. If you send me an email I will be able to let you know in a month or so after they re-root and are ready for sale.

Thanks for your interest.

Dave

Russell, KY(Zone 6b)

Wow... that's a pastel JM!!
That's what I'd name it... 'Pastel.'

Austell, GA(Zone 7a)

Nice!!

Warrenton, VA

Hello Dave, my suggestion for name of the new JM is : Acer Palmatum "Kanji." I get a ghostly, luminous feel from your photos, and "Kanji" is the Japanese name for "faint" or "dim" in Japanese folklore.

I have but one JM, a "Lozita," bought on impulse from happening upon Eastwood Nurseries in the back woods of my area. She is the first plant purchase by Hubby and myself, and we just love her. My dear husband named her "LuLu." Her picture is below - we bought her as a mere slip of a tree, two years ago.

Thumbnail by Gracye
Prattville, AL(Zone 8b)

i think that name is perfect. Grayce.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.