Strange computer actions

Salem, IL(Zone 5b)

Recently, I noticed it was very difficult to delete pictures I had saved in the normal folder. It would sometimes take minutes and different mouse clicks to delete them. Also, scrolling thru text on e-mail, DG and cubits would lock up for a second or two then jump. Being the old time computer person I am, I deleted the active partition, did the slow format bit, and reinstalled Vista with only the basics added. Norton 360, OEM ATI video drivers, SP-1, SP-2, IE9 and an additional 112 Windows update files. Everything worked fine then I added Adobe Reader 10 and Adobe Flash 11. Still, everything works great with a pic delete in 1 second or so.

I can't explain the problem but I am certain it was either a virus of some kind or a Windows update which messed up the video driver or mouse driver. I can blame my wife, she isn't sitting here, for possibly clicking onto something in Facebook or the coupon site she likes to surf. Last year, I had a Windows update which messed up the CD/DVD driver.

The point is don't be afraid to scrub your pc clean and start over. Most pcs need to be erased and reformatted once a year just to eliminate the clutter. It is a good idea to partition a large drive to a size required for the OS and device drivers with an ample amount left over for future addons and virtual memory. My 'C' drive was 250gb and I partitioned it as a 50gb active drive leaving the 200gb partition for programs. A 750gb drive is used for junk storage and backup.

This thread has 2 replies. This forum is accessible only to subscribing members of Dave's Garden. There are many free features here, and about half of our forums are completely open to all members. And learn more about Dave's Garden, and explore the benefits of becoming a subscribing member.

Want to join? Register here. Already signed up? Click here to login!