How did your Fern Leaf Peonies do this past winter?

Stamford, CT(Zone 6b)

Since the northeast had this gentle, questionable winter, the herbaceous peonies seemed to have fared so well as did the tree peonies.

I moved my peony tenuifolia a bit las season, but it hadn't bloomed in two years, so it was questionable as to whether it will bloom, but it has reared its lovely ( now two) heads.

I know this is really a specialty item. Anything special from the peanut gallery?

Marcia

Duluth, GA(Zone 7b)

The only fern leaf that I have is Merry Mayshine, and it was planted last fall, and has already bloomed this spring in late March.

Thumbnail by Cem9165
(Mary) Anchorage, AK(Zone 4b)

I planted mine in '08. Little Red Gem (I think, just had tenufolia on the tag). It has bloomed on 6-5-09, 6-5-10, 6-24-11. Everything was way late last year. I am moving it this year to a place where it will get more sun.

Stamford, CT(Zone 6b)

The leaves are really ferny and fine. It was one of the nice things that the former owner left us. I know it's sort of an alpine plant, but I don't know what else to do with it. When we were digging there last year, I moved on of the two so it would not be damaged, but the other was not moved. Poor thing has not bloomed in a few years.

Thumbnail by cathy166 Thumbnail by cathy166 Thumbnail by cathy166

Looks similar. Mine is ferny also and a simple sort of Japanese form

Finally on the desktop where I have my pictures; The pictures span from May 20 to June 25 2011. The leaves in the June 25th picture don't look ferny

This message was edited Apr 9, 2012 12:02 PM

Thumbnail by Oberon46 Thumbnail by Oberon46 Thumbnail by Oberon46 Thumbnail by Oberon46 Thumbnail by Oberon46

but this was taken 6-10-2010 and the leaves look more ferny. I wonder if the one in the prior set of pics had time for the leaves to unfurl as it was 15 days after this one.

Thumbnail by Oberon46
Northern, NJ(Zone 6b)

I moved mine to the herb garden a few years ago where it increased in size and blooms (9 last year) steadily.
This year the Comptonia (Sweet Fern) has grown so large tit has moved into the fern leaf peony space.
As a consequence the fern leaf is smaller and will have only 5 blooms.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.