Emperor or Fosteriana Tulips

North Shore of L. I., NY(Zone 6b)

I was looking both at Brent and Beckies and also at Scheepers and I finially figgured out that Emperor and Fosteriana tulips are the same thing. I guess one is just a common name for the other. I don't have any Emperor tulips currenty but I figgure that the huge red tulips my dad used to grow when I was a kid were Red Emperor.

I came upon the idea that I should add the Emperor Tulips when I was searching on the net for more perennial tulips, these were ones that were mentioned. So I see Van Engelen, the wholesale part of Scheepers, has an Emperor Tulip collection of 300 bulbs which are 50 each of six varieties that are -

50 Tulip Flaming Purissima: White and pink.
50 Tulip Juan: Orange, yellow base.
50 Tulip Orange Emperor: Salmon-orange.
50 Tulip Red Emperor: Fiery-red.
50 Tulip Yellow Purissima: Canary-yellow.
50 Tulip White Emperor: Milky-white.

I am thinking that might be a good addition to the garden. I am also looking to get Emperor Tulips Apricot Emperor and Sweetheart which are not in the above collection but I really think both are true beauties.

So anyone growing Emperor Tulips? Any Advice?

Calgary, AB(Zone 3b)

The word "emperor" is used in a lot of the cultivar names for Fosteriana tulips, but the tulip "class" is Fosteriana. The flowers have a recognizable shape, different from other classes. Yes, they are great additions to the garden - go for it! ;-) Fosteriana tulips don't require any different or specific care, compared to other tulips.

Are the flowers really that big? Some places say flowers up to ten inches. I figgure they are exaggerating.

Calgary, AB(Zone 3b)

Well, I've never seen any or grown any that had flowers up to 10 inches across (I assume across?)!

Thanks. I didn't want them to be too big anyway.

Sherman, CT

I've grown Exotic Emperor. Beautiful, early, and long- lasting.

These sound like just what I need.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.