Geranium o.......?

Ashdown, AR(Zone 8a)

I'm pulling my hair out trying to find species name so I can list seeds to trade. Went back to website I bought seed on and he no longer has it list. G.oxecell....?

Thumbnail by bigred
Ashdown, AR(Zone 8a)

Sorry about the blurry picture...my zoom quit working on camera.

Corvallis, OR(Zone 8b)

There is a Geranium ocellatum, an annual from Africa, China and everywhere in between. It looks like your flower.

Ashdown, AR(Zone 8a)

Thanks,that does look like the spelling....I'll google it to sure....Thanks again

Alameda, CA(Zone 9b)

bigred,

I'm sorry that I only now just saw this post. Please let me know if this is the same flower you posted about? I posted it last year as an unknown cranesbill that grows as a weed in my garden. G. ocellatum was suggested as one possibility. It's a small flower on a rangey plant that grows as a perennial, or at least a biennial, in my area.

This message was edited Nov 3, 2012 1:01 AM

Thumbnail by atisch
Ashdown, AR(Zone 8a)

Yes,that's it's correct name...you probably have the one called Stinking Robert/Bob. Can't think of it's botanical name at the moment. Just up,not enough coffee to kick start the brain yet.Small flower,pale pink flowers,dissected foliage that turn burgundy in the fall?

Alameda, CA(Zone 9b)

Thanks,
Fall arrives fairly late in my area, but I'll keep my eyes out and try to remember to report about the color they change to. I seem to recall that they do turn deep red.

The plant flowers heaviest in late spring and then sporadically throughout the summer and early fall. The most outstanding features of the flowers is the almost black centers and the bright green of the sepals (?) that usually show between the petals. It seeds itself readily.

Allan

Ashdown, AR(Zone 8a)

sounds like the stinking robert that comes up in my yard...but only a pale pink w/ veining...I think I have a picture but may take a while to find.

Brookfield, CT

The latin name is Geranium robertianum. Herb Robert is another common name. It is considered to be an invasive, or at least a serious pest. I think it is adorable, but only because I saw it in someone else's garden!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.