Caudiciforms in ground for the summer?

Chicago Suburbs, IL(Zone 5b)

I would like to try putting some of my caudiciforms in the ground for the summer. I know I have seen posts and pictures of others doing this. Is there any special prepping of the ground that is done?Are the plants planted directly in the ground or are they left in a pot? What about the caudex of some plants are they left exposed or buried?

I have a F. edulis, G. macrorhiza, J. cathartica, O. decaryi, C. juttae and a S. tropaeolifolius should any of these *not* be planted in the ground? I live in Chicago so our summers tend to be hot and humid and we can have tons of rain or none at all for long stretches.

Yardley, PA

I have put a lot of my caudiciforms in the ground for the summers and have had some amazing growth on some. I would just be careful of some of the real water sensitive ones.

Yardley, PA

By the way, I put mine directly into the ground and just put into my regular garden soil.

Chicago Suburbs, IL(Zone 5b)

Thought I would give a update... I planted the Fokea edulis and Senecio tropaeolifolius directly in ground and so far so good. I haven't seen much growth above ground with the fokea but the senecio really took off. I cant wait to dig them up in the fall and see what was going on underground.

Yardley, PA

That is the fun part plexippus. Digging them up in the fall. It can be reallly amazing to see the growth. I am looking forward to that, too.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.