Ouch! Need help identifying this burr-covered pest

Red Lodge, MT(Zone 4a)

I recently moved to a different region of Montana and (losing two full USDA zones, ugh) and am faced with new weeds to eradicate. I searched the Montana noxious weeds site as I assume this beast is not friendly, but was unable to identify it. Thankfully, it seems to be shallow-rooted although I could be mistaken. It is apparently as each dead and burr-covered stalk is surrounded by healthy new grew foliage at the base. Because I'm new to the area, I have no idea what the plant looks like while growing. Any help would be appreciated as I have a somewhat forested area literally covered in this. I began the torturous process of removing these plants and was soon covered head to toe in small pain-inducing burrs. I decided before I continue, I should verify that I am doing the right thing and not spreading these terrible plants. Thanks in advance!

Thumbnail by MTnic Thumbnail by MTnic
Red Lodge, MT(Zone 4a)

I figured it out on my own somehow. Common motherwort. :(

Lucketts, VA(Zone 7a)

While it is not native, it is not invasive everywhere, but I don't know how it behaves in Montana. I think that it is an interesting plant with small but pretty flowers. Consequently, I keep some in my yard and have no trouble keeping it under control.

Red Lodge, MT(Zone 4a)

Hmm. Well, it is probably kept in check by our vicious winters but it was certainly no fun to remove today. I was covered from head to toe in burrs. The plants came up easily though they are absolutely EVERYWHERE in my yard. I guess as long as they won't take over, I won't be too worried about a few growing here and there then, thanks!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.