Colorado Iris Gardens

Corrales, NM

I would like to plan a trip to Colorado to view and buy Irises. Are there any recommendations of
gardens you know and like?? Their season is a little later than ours, so I can look and enjoy my
love a little longer. Or even Utah?

Kiowa, CO(Zone 5b)

DG...There is a wonderful iris seller in Boulder, Co. "Long's Iris Gardens" , they have acres of "you dig" german iris. From dwarf's, spurias, mid and tall germans. Last year they're prices in the named areas are approx. $7-8. In the unkown area you get to dig the whole clump, approx. the same price. They have digging forks and paperbags (also a marker to write the name on the bag).
Directions: from Denver, north on I-25 to hiway 36 into Boulder, north to Iris street (iris to the left and 28th st to the right) and turn left, to I believe it's Broadway Street and turn left ( the road deadends so ya have to turn), about 1 block south and turn left into the driveway.

I go every spring and always come home with bags of goodies. They open the fields in May until early June, check their website for more info.

Another you dig is located at I-470 and Santa Fe Drive, northwest corner on Santa Fe dr.. Have never been there but had called and driven past many times. They were the mother's iris and son is sellling, not sure how much of a selection they have tho.

I also have suggestions for some great nurseries if interested, one has annual and perenns in 12 packs for approx $3. Let me know if your wanting other ideas also: public gardens, nurseries.

Keep in touch as your travel plans come together, I might be able to include times and dates of private garden tours. There's a local newspaper that is for gardening only and covers the whole front range. It has info on plants, how tos, tours, sales, classes etc.

pix: long's iris garden, their poppies up by the house looking into the iris feilds
pix: 2-5 iris from long's

Hope that helps. Kathy

Thumbnail by warriorswisdomkathy Thumbnail by warriorswisdomkathy Thumbnail by warriorswisdomkathy Thumbnail by warriorswisdomkathy Thumbnail by warriorswisdomkathy
Kiowa, CO(Zone 5b)

more from long's

Thumbnail by warriorswisdomkathy Thumbnail by warriorswisdomkathy Thumbnail by warriorswisdomkathy Thumbnail by warriorswisdomkathy Thumbnail by warriorswisdomkathy
Kiowa, CO(Zone 5b)

#5 on the first and last group of pix are flaties, they open flat but are still german iris, and the fragrance is wow!! These are just a few of the iris I got from long's, love em.

sun city, CA(Zone 9a)

you sure made me want to go to colorado!

South Hamilton, MA

Please refer to them as 'bearded' iris. German iris is a misnomer from long ago. I have visited Longs at convention time. They have a neat trick of planting irises with variegated foliage at the end of a row of known plants so you know when that variety stopped.

Corrales, NM

Thanks so much for the info. I'm not sure but I had already looked up Long's web site,
and I think they are no longer in business. If so, what a shame, I would have loved to
go there. Sylvia

Corrales, NM

OOps! I must have lost my mind, no big revolation. I just checked Long's Gardens again
and find that they ARE still in business, So hope to go there. I also found Willow Bend
Iris Farm, Grand Junction and C & T, Eaton, Colo. (smaller gardens, but still worth the
trip, I think). Sylvia

Kiowa, CO(Zone 5b)

Sorry irisma, yes it's a habit to call them german. How long ago was it that you were here?

Thumbnail by warriorswisdomkathy
South Hamilton, MA

At least 25 yrs.

Kiowa, CO(Zone 5b)

Oh..that was back in the day when they planted more acres. Seems like they have sold off some of their land, but who could blame them being in the middle of the city. They still have many acres tho, seems like half aren't planted tho. One year I asked and they told me they rotate to other fields with their iris. I sure hope they have a great crop this year.. if they do, they sell stems of iris pretty cheap.

Cherryvale, KS

You might also look up Greenhorn Valley Iris. They are located off of I-25 at Colorado City. They have public gardens in front of a campground. He usually has an open house on Memorial Day week-end, but you can look and leave orders anytime. Good luck!
Kisses from Kansas!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.