Trail Ride Vacation Plans

Biggs, KY(Zone 6a)

DH and I are working hard to take a vacation in just over a month. We have not been on a vacation in 7 years and think it is high time we had some relaxation. He has had a bad time the last couple of years with his health and we have hardly been able to ride at all. He is on the mend now and we are planning to go on a trail ride for our vacation. It's a big ride 2 hours haul from our house. We have friends that go and we look forward to spending time with them. Mostly we look forward to getting away from the hospital, doctor visits, work and the phone. It will be so good to be able to relax and just enjoy some down time together.

But getting ready for a week long ride and campout is very hard work. Especially when all our stuff has been moved around and stuffed away in the process of moving 2 1/2 years ago. I have most of the work to do myself because of DH's health situation right now. I have managed to clean out the living quarters on the trailer and get it mopped and wiped down. Today I started scraping and steel brushing inside the hauling compartment. It's an older trailer that has not been used in 3 years so it's in need of a lot of TLC. We got new mats for it and have to put those in. They sure are heavy buggars.

Next I have to get our tents out and set those up to check for rips and to make sure I have all the stakes and poles. I am pumping up all the air mattresses to make sure they still hold air. I have made long lists of all we have to bring with us. It's quite extensive as it will be primitive camping and we even have to haul our drinking water with us.

But as much work as it is we are very much looking forward to it.

One other important thing I have to get done is to ride the mares a bit before we go. They have not been ridden in quite a while so I need to dust off their manners. I got to ride one of the girls a few days ago. This is Godiva, a regstered TWH mare. She is coming 18 this year and she is a pleasure out on the trails. Very easy to handle and completely trustworthy. DH will be riding her.

Thumbnail by CajuninKy
This thread has 38 replies. This forum is accessible only to subscribing members of Dave's Garden. There are many free features here, and about half of our forums are completely open to all members. And learn more about Dave's Garden, and explore the benefits of becoming a subscribing member.

Want to join? Register here. Already signed up? Click here to login!