Clematis ID

Beaumont, TX(Zone 9a)

Please id this one...
Lost label; either got at Wal-M, Lowe's or HP.

Thumbnail by Inthegarden
(Arlene) Southold, NY(Zone 7a)

Do you have a list of the clematises you've purchased? That would be a big help.

Stamford, CT(Zone 6b)

They seem so slow to take off. By the time they leap, it is hard to remember where each plant went.

Maybe it's the President? Try here:

http://www.gardenvines.com/shop/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=3&sort=4d&gclid=COLQuMujoK8CFcJM4Aod-QMAbQ&page=2&zenid=0f03051c2aa0df4ba76f5e2f4ea05a25

Waxhaw (Charlotte), NC(Zone 7b)

Could it be HF Young?

Central, AL(Zone 7b)

I see that the coloring for both HF Young and President aren't the match for the flower in question.

Another problem in trying to identify a clematis is that the coloring in Texas is often different from the coloring of the same clematis in northern zones.

Leawood, KS(Zone 5b)

I also have a missing tag - does anyone recognize this? I bought it last spring and it only had a few blooms last year.

Thumbnail by LeawoodGardener

Might be HF Young.

Central, AL(Zone 7b)

I concur.

The major clue is where it was purchased. The big box stores sell the more common clematis so that prompted my guess.

Leawood, KS(Zone 5b)

I bought it at a local nursery that specializes in 'unusual' plant varieties. I've bought a lot of trees, shrubs and plants there over the last 30 years. H.F. Youngs doesn't sound familiar, but anything is possible. Next time I go there I'll check out their clematis and see if I see a name that sounds familiar.

www.familytreenursery.com

You could ask which clem's they were selling a few years ago and that might help you with the identity.

Stamford, CT(Zone 6b)

Odd as it may seem, it is very difficult to ID a bloom online as the color varies so much from photo to photo and monitor to monitor. Many times a plant does not flower like the picture on the package for similar reasons. Sometimes they come out even better.

So true! Time of day the photo was taken, climate, sunshine or lack thereof all make a huge difference.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.