Alternative Strawberries

Houston, TX

I've seen this online and had to try it. It looked like a great way to grow stuff in a very small amount of space, and I love strawberries, so here we go.

Canvas shoe trees!

So far, I've watered about every other day, and added some Osmocote to the mix so that the berry plants would have some food.

Has anyone else ever tried this? So far it's brilliant!

Thumbnail by Hastur Thumbnail by Hastur
SE Houston (Hobby), TX(Zone 9a)

TOTALLY BRILLIANT!

Please post progress pics here!

Here's my method for space-saving strawberries...

The pics are the pictorial history of the ONE strawberry eBucket I constructed. It has a self-watering reservoir in the bottom of the bucket, so the plant can drink at will. I just keep the reservoir filled every couple of days...

I will have MANY more Strawberry eBuckets in November!

This message was edited Mar 30, 2012 2:35 PM

Thumbnail by Gymgirl Thumbnail by Gymgirl Thumbnail by Gymgirl Thumbnail by Gymgirl Thumbnail by Gymgirl
Duxbury, MA(Zone 7a)

that canvas shoe cubby idea might solve my chipmunk problem. Although they could probably run right up it. But probably not if I hung it high enough off the ground. I might try it, because no matter how hard I try to cover mine with a net and TOTALLY seal it up, they get in. Great idea!

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

very cool idea

Grosse Pointe Shores, MI(Zone 6a)

How cool! I will definitely be watching for your progress reports!

(Judith) Denver, CO(Zone 5b)

Both are great ideas!! Gymgirl, how big is your bucket? What variety of strawberry are you using? I'm thinking I could drill holes in some of my already self-watering pots and just plant strawberries there.

Revclaus,
You're already half-way there!

The Strawberry eBucket is a 6.5 gallon bucket. I have a friend who knows a pool man who saves the chlorine tablet buckets for me. (To date, I've seen NO ill effects on my veggies from using these buckets.)

I just made a reservoir in the bottom with the overturned colander and drilled staggered rows of 1" holes. Planting the bare root "Seascape" strawberry plants from The Berry Farm was the most challenging. I taped a square of weed block over each hole, then loaded a layer of potting mix to right below the hole. Next, I cut an "x" in the weed block square and fed the bare root plants in horizontally, laying them on the bed of potting mix. Then I dropped more potting mix in to cover the roots, and built up to the next layer.

Will have many more Berry eBuckets in November. I put 25 plants in the one bucket. Next time I may only do 12 plants in each bucket to give them more sun space.

Linda

Houston, TX

Gymgirl, your buckets continue to amaze. I absolutely need to make some friends in the fast food industry and with some pool guys...

It absolutely did not want to cooperate today, but tomorrow I will take pictures of the myriad blossoms that are coming from the berry plants. Yes, I know I started a bit late, but they really are going like gangbusters.

Hastur,
I was told we couldn't plant Strawberries in Houston until November! Please keep posting ur pics so I can see how they develop over the next weeks!

I love challenging the schedules!

Duxbury, MA(Zone 7a)

I couldn't resist, I just planted one myself, totally stealing your idea Hastur. My fence is low, so I cut mine in half. I've only planted the top half so far, have to put some grommets in the bottom half. Here's a pic:

Thumbnail by cindyeo

Those shoe-berry bins are awesome! I have pups growing off my current eBerry Bucket, and this might be the time to collect some shoe-berry bins so I can be ready to root the pups for the fall. Countrygardens told me they only take about a month to get established, so great timing guys!

P.S. If you've never grown strawberries before, here're some observations I've made with mine.
►The more sun hitting the leaves, the better, and the shoe-berry bins allow for more surface.

►Try not to wet the leaves when you water.

►Keep them moist.

►The quicker you pick the ripe berries, the quicker the plant sets the next flush of berries

►Feed them regularly. I picked up a bag of Ammonium Sulfate (high Nitrogen), and Bone Meal, and sprinkle lightly once every two weeks, then water in well.

►Countrygardens uses mostly Miracle Grow Potting soil, with old spent peat type stuff mixed in for planting, and fertilizes with 19-19-19.

Here's a link to another discussion we were having at one time, with some more tips. Glad I dug this up, cause my berries aren't as sweet as I'd like them to be. Need to make some adjustments.
http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/p.php?pid=7865503

Hugs!

Shell Lake, WI

What a cool idea--I'm going to try this ;-)

Mobile, AL(Zone 8b)

I have never before thought about growing strawberries but I must say that this very inventive idea has piqued my interest.

Great thinking..

Brooksville, FL(Zone 9a)

hastur

Ok, I'm another that wants to use your idea. That is incredible and so timely for me to find this threat today, as i just found a package of strawberry seeds. I don't know if they are any good, but I'm panting and will see how this goes. I'm in a rental house and the owner doesn't want his lawn dug up for any gardening, so I could hand this and not interfer with his lawn. LOL

thank you for sharing it.

Gymgirl

thank you for the info and the link. I've grown strawberries when I was a kid with my grandmother, so this information will really help me to have a better chance of success.

Jan

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.