HELP! My new hibiscus came with aphids :(

High Desert, NV(Zone 5a)

I just received 7 hibiscus plants and while unpacking them noticed that 6 of the 7 have aphids :(

Since they are small now and portable I sprayed them off really well in the sink. I am wondering though, (since it's unlikely I got every one) what I can use to kill aphids that is safe on hibiscus?

Thanks,
Melissa

Thumbnail by tombaak Thumbnail by tombaak
Clarksville, TN(Zone 7a)

Frankly, I like spraying them off with water best. Insecticidal soap will work. Remember to spray both sides of the leaves.

This was an order from a nursery???

High Desert, NV(Zone 5a)

Yes, they came from a nursery. I checked it out in the Watchdog first, it is very high rated! I sent the owner an email asking for advice on getting rid of them but haven't heard back.

Clarksville, TN(Zone 7a)

My goodness, I'm shocked that a nursery would send plants that infested with aphids. :(

High Desert, NV(Zone 5a)

Aaarg!!! I just got out a magnifying glass to see if I got all the aphids off when I sprayed them yesterday and found these :(

It's scale isn't it?

What do I do?

Thumbnail by tombaak Thumbnail by tombaak Thumbnail by tombaak
Richland, WA(Zone 7b)

I would be on the phone informing that nursery- send them the photos we are looking at- Please tell us their name- They should be made to clean up their plants before selling any more. That is the worst case of aphids I have seen in a long time!

Clarksville, TN(Zone 7a)

I absolutely agree with Jo.

Meanwhile, a cotton swab dipped in alcohol will kill scale but you have to hit every one of them.

High Desert, NV(Zone 5a)

I emailed the owner about the aphids (with pics) when the plants arrived yesterday and again today with pics of the scale.

The nursery has a good Watchdog rating and the owner was very nice and helpful when I called before placing the order. I hate to ruin his reputation if this is a one off thing, but if he doesn't return my email I guess I'll have to name names and leave neg feedback :(

Richland, WA(Zone 7b)

That sounds fair enough to me. They should be very anxious to take care of the problem and keep their good reputation. I would let them know that you will spread the word- good or bad- That may motivate them!

Clarksville, TN(Zone 7a)

You gotta do what you gotta do, tom. For the good of all of us who order from online nurseries. Hopefully, it's some kind of a fluke or exception to the rule there ... but so much insect infestation makes me wonder. Aphids are one thing .... scale is quite another. :(

Belton, TX

Besides the issue with the nursery...a little Sevin should take care of the infestation. However, you should isolate the hibs from any other susceptible stock...if these are tropical hibs, you should know that this is a common issue, especially where ventilation is limited...but still no excuse for a nursery to ship infected merchandise...

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.