Lady In Red

Wilmington, NC(Zone 8a)

I usually prefer mopheads to lacecaps but about 5 years ago I bought a Lady in Red because 1) I loved the bronze foliage and red leaf veins and 2) It was on the clearance rack at Lowes. Now I have at least 12 of these but I can't seem to get their leaf color back to bronze in the fall. They just look like any other variety. The blooms are blue instead of red but I don't care about that I care about the foliage. Iron? Light? Moisture? Thoughts? The one pictured isn't one of mine. I just wish it were.

Thumbnail by mccaine
(Arlene) Southold, NY(Zone 7a)

Mine has red stems and in fall it does have the darker foliage and "reddish" blooms but many hydrangeas have that "red" look to them. In June it has blue lacecap flowers. It's in the background in this photo and you can see how green the leaves are.

I doubt there is anything you can do to change the color of the leaves.

Thumbnail by pirl
Dublin, CA(Zone 9a)

You could try moving to a colder climate if it's fall color you're after...warmer climates often cause poorer fall color in many types of plants.

Wilmington, NC(Zone 8a)

Pirl, yours are lovely and I have enjoyed mine with the red veins (it's how i can ID them when I root them) but even my Oregon Prides have darker leaves. Here's how mine looked. I guess I got baited and switched

Thumbnail by mccaine
Ashdown, AR(Zone 8a)

I have the red stems but none of the red/bronze foliage...probably because I'm in zone 8 . Blue flowers because of all the pine trees making soil acid.

Thumbnail by bigred
Powder Springs, GA(Zone 7b)

Never really thought about the fall color on this hydrangea until I saw this post. Here is a picture of mine when I bought it in November 2006 and how it looked last month. Maybe this fall I will have to get out to the backyard more often.

Thumbnail by hcmcdole Thumbnail by hcmcdole
Hurst, TX(Zone 7b)

Ooooh, love that look from the first picture!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.