How deep do I plant....

Loysville, PA(Zone 6a)

I was just given some canna rhyzomes. So how deep should they be planted ?

Ocoee (W. Orlando), FL(Zone 9b)

I try to put them a little deeper, like 6 inches, if they are a taller variety and in an area where wind can get to them. But, being one of the easier flowers to grow, I've had a few sitting on top of the soil (my intention was to go back and plant them) and they rooted in and grew anyway. If they're small roots, about 4inchesdown will be fine.

Loysville, PA(Zone 6a)

thanks MerryMary
They are the taller ones and yes in a windy spot so I will follow your guidelines.
Very much appreciated !!!

cullman, AL(Zone 7b)

i always go at least 6" down.. I dont measure so sometimes its more like 8" but as longs theres a good amount of soil on top of them they will be fine

Loysville, PA(Zone 6a)

thanks smurf428, good to know . I'm gonna try to get them in this week.

cullman, AL(Zone 7b)

ya i just get my hubby to dig me a hole and once he says thats about good, i just toss the root in.. Theres no top, bottom, or side to these roots, no matter how you put it in the shoots will grow up... Happy gardening

Loysville, PA(Zone 6a)

Oh thanks again. LOL, I hadn't even thought about that question yet....which end is up ?

Brigham City, UT(Zone 5b)

So, I potted mine in 1 gallon pots and have them in my plant room in the basement. My question is, how much do I water? some or not at all until they sprout up out of the soil?

Not too much just yet...As long as the soil isn't dehydrated bone dry, they should be fine. When you're ready for them to get up and running, you won't be able to stop them anway! At that point, barely misting the soil, a sunny spot, and and let the soil dry out between waterings, until you see green....

then, you'll be addicted and get one of every color... :)

Thank You so much. I bought a bag of them from Lowe's and one is already 9" tall, It had already sprouted before I planted it. I have 9 in all and don't have a clue the color.
I have >75 dahlias that I am doing the same with, 20 have sprouted, ---- waiting, waiting.

Many of the canna varieties also have different patterned leaves, so when not in bloom they are still very pretty.

I planted some from seed last year and they did well, but I got ill just the time they should be dug up and I lost them all. Starting over, but this time from tubers. I may have to order some different leaf color canna's next year.

cullman, AL(Zone 7b)

the cannas i had before i moved and sadly had to leave all of them behind, however friends and family that received a huge bag were very happy. Anyways i would store them in a rubbermaid bin in the basement for the winter. Come may when it was time to plant them i would go down to the basement and some were already 2' high.. Sure they were all whitish yellow and once the sun would hit them they would just burn, usually i would just cut that shoot off anyways. Cannas know when its time to grow, weather were ready or not. I never once watered them in that bin, so dont stress out about the water until you get them out in that hot sun..

Thanks

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.