Not There

Dayton, OH

All my Daylilies are growing like crazy except my Raspberry Masquerade, it hasn't even started coming through the ground yet. I hope it comes up soon, because it is one of favorite Daylilies. So sad

Nilwood, IL(Zone 5b)

Is it a dormant? It could take a little longer. Some of mine are not there yet and some are a foot tall. BEV

Dayton, OH

Thanks drangonfly, I don't know if it's a dormant or not, something was digging around it all winter long, I hope it didn't dig it up.

Logan Lake, BC(Zone 3a)

Sorry to say rosycats but it was probably a vole that was digging around your plant and it may have eaten most of it, if your lucky a smaller fan or two may have survived. I've had that happen a few times. My main daylily bed is still covered with snow so I don't know what kind of damage they did during this winter.

Nilwood, IL(Zone 5b)

Yeah, I forgot. I think voles are getting a few of mine too. I put mothballs down the holes I find. I don't know if it does good or not. We do have a neighbor's dog that gets a few every yr. Always something huh? BEV

Logan Lake, BC(Zone 3a)

I actually caught a vole in the act, it had dug right beside the plant and had eaten a good portion of it, this was in the fall, I was so mad, I got a bunch of traps and set them close to the daylilies and I think I caught 2 by that plant within hours, and about 30 more of the little buggers within a month. This spring and summer I am going to keep those traps near the plants they like to eat. I found the mothballs didn't work.

Nilwood, IL(Zone 5b)

Where do you get your traps? BEV

Logan Lake, BC(Zone 3a)

Home Depot, or any hardware or feed store usually carry them. I buy the quick kill type, it has a bait box that you put peanut butter in then set it, the critters lift the lid on the bait box setting the trap off, it is very effective, not like the old mouse traps.

Dayton, OH

Thanks everyone for your advice and tips on trying to save Daylilies, I have 38 Daylilies, and this is the first one I've had any trouble with.

Who is Bev?

Logan Lake, BC(Zone 3a)

Bev is dragonfly62.

Nilwood, IL(Zone 5b)

Hi roseycats!!!! BEV

Kalama, WA(Zone 8b)

Gosh, I have voles here. Makes me nervous about planting mine in the ground now. Our cats get them all the time, but it hasn't been enough to eliminate them completely. Every lily bulb I planted in the ground disappeared so now my lilies go into pots automatically.

Dayton, OH

Hey dragonfly my name is also Bev. good name

Logan Lake, BC(Zone 3a)

Joy, since my war on the voles this fall I see almost no lawn damage this spring, so far the daylilies look like they have not been eaten, I will know a little more as soon as I can get in there and clean them up. I think with your cats catching them you should be ok, I don't think we will ever eliminate them entirely.

Melvindale, MI(Zone 5a)

Are voles and moles the same thing or are they different???

Kalama, WA(Zone 8b)

They're different Cindy. Moles don't actually eat your plants, but can dislodge them. Voles, on the other hand do.

Melvindale, MI(Zone 5a)

Ok, thanks Joy. I was hoping that because we have moles at our northern cottage. Have been taking daylilies up there for the past 3 years and don't want them all destroyed by the wildlife. The deer are a challenge enough.

Kalama, WA(Zone 8b)

You're welcome.

Nilwood, IL(Zone 5b)

Yeah Hi BEV!!!!!!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.