Variegated Asiatic Crinum

Huntersville, NC(Zone 7b)

I purchased and received a Variegated Asiatic Crinum recently! I live in the Southern Piedmont of North Carolina. Can I treat this like my other Crinums other than less direct sunlight when I plant? It is a nice size plant with a 6-8'' rootball (in excellent shape). The leaves make it about 18'' in dia. The trunk is about an 1-1/2'' in dia. The plant stands about 14'' tall.

Any suggestions most appreciated!

Drew

Thumbnail by homer1958
Lee's Summit, MO(Zone 6a)

Drew, I was gifted a start of this, from one of our tropical plants forum angels - it grows among my other Crinums and does just fine.

Thanks Kay!

Ocoee (W. Orlando), FL(Zone 9b)

Mine is in full Florida sun and does very well. I've also grown one in a pot of water (by mistake, but it bloomed, so I just left it!)

Baytown, TX(Zone 9b)

That is absolutely beautiful. I had no idea they come variegated. I have been digging Crinums at old homesteads and wow would I love to find one of these. I have a burgundy leaf one and there is another burgundy leaf I don't have. I love Crinums.

Thanks for sharing. If it is not rude can I ask how much you gave for it? And possibly where you found it. Thanks so much.

Ocoee (W. Orlando), FL(Zone 9b)

Mine actually sprouted up from one of my crinum seeds...so I separated it and kept splitting off any of the little side sprouts that were also variegated. I had no clue it was not the norm, so gave them all away, and now wish I had more! I think I saw one listed on ebay.

Baytown, TX(Zone 9b)

Wow don't you just love how everything in the plant world on ebay is rare? They want too much for me for these as I am on disability. One of them is 14.99 + 14.99 shipping and says it is variegated and is solid green in the picture. I could sell one that is solid green and say it is variegated. :) I sure wouldn't do that. The others are just too high.

MerryMary the good thing about crinums is once they are big enough to make babies they will continue to make them. If you ever want to trade for something let me know. I have crinums and the huge white spider lilies and a lot of other bulbs.

I paid fifty to my door from top tropicals for a very nice size bulb!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.