Spring 2012 AV&G Round Robin - interest thread

Whitsett, NC(Zone 8a)

It has been mentioned by one or two (dozen) people that a round robin is in order. This thread is to gauge the actual interest . . . if you would like to participate in a spring round robin, please let us know!

Once we have an idea of who would like to participate, then we can pick (or someone can volunteer) to start us off with a box . . .

How does a round robin work, you ask?

Quoting:
It is important that each participant take out what they want to keep, toss what is iffy, add to the box and mail it ASAP. This is what will make it go smoothly.

Everyone pays the postage to get the box Priority with tracking information to the next person on the list.

The box will be started with leaves, starters, and whatever else can be thrown in. When you receive the box and there are dead leaves, etc., please throw them out and replace what you can. Please keep the names and address list with the box for the next person. You are welcome to place anything in the box, just remember you need to replace what you take. You are also welcome to throw in extras. But please don't throw in your old leaves, make sure what you are sending is viable plant material for propagation.

You are not obligated to take anything you don't want, so if something doesn't suit your fancy, send it out to the next recipient on the list.

Once you have made your selection, post to the group what you have taken and when you sent the box out to the next recipient. Including a tracking number is helpful.

DO NOT POST TO THE GROUP WHAT IS IN THE BOX, only what you kept.

Those interested so far:

1. Um, me!
2. *meag848/Melanie
3. EarleG/Earle
4. Carpathiangirl/Maria
5. *Jamiew/Jamie
6. Celene/Rebecca
7. Vadis/Henry
8. VA_Wild_Rose/Karen
9. dispatcher1/Lou
10. imadigger/Eileen

This message was edited Mar 25, 2012 8:18 AM

This message was edited Mar 25, 2012 8:39 AM

This message was edited Mar 25, 2012 8:39 AM

This message was edited Mar 31, 2012 8:46 AM

This message was edited Apr 2, 2012 7:59 PM

Thumbnail by Syrumani
Kittrell, NC(Zone 7b)

Nichole,
I would be more than interested in taking part of this RR. If you would like I can start it.....I only have av leaves.
Just let me know.

Melanie

Sanbornton, NH

Hi Nichole,

Please keep me in mind for participating in the round robin. Never done anything like this before. Sounds like great fun.

Earle

Akron, OH(Zone 5a)

Me too!!!! can't wait!

Maria

Chicago, IL(Zone 6a)

As it looks right now, I'll have to back out of this one because I just moved and had to get rid of the majority of my plants... :( Well, I will be focusing on micro, mini and some of the more controllable size species Sinningias since growing space is much more limited now...

Whitsett, NC(Zone 8a)

Oh, oh . . . timing was bad, on that move, there Olaf! You could have started the RR, then by the time it was done, you'd get the variety at the end! lol! ^_^

You know, though . . . that this is an interest thread . . . when do you anticipate your move being done, and your being ready for plants again?

This message was edited Mar 23, 2012 4:27 PM

Chicago, IL(Zone 6a)

I know, right? LOL

Well, I have no idea how long it will take me to get going again. I will have to get another shelf but not right now... (Yeah, right!)

Olaf

Montgomery, AL

I'm interested and I could start a box if needed.
Jamie

Alum Bridge, WV

I don't do AVs but I do have extra mini-Sinns. Add me to the list, if it will include Gessies other than AVs.

Columbus, OH

Please add me to the list. I'm a mostly non-AV gesneriad person, but I have some nice episcia, sinningia, streps, etc. My AV's are either waspy and weird, or tricolor variegated foliage. Not that I'm predictable with the variegates or anything, lol.

Whitsett, NC(Zone 8a)

Vadis - the box can include anything gessie related, whether it is AV's, streps, sinn's, pets, etc . . . I wouldn't mind if it included begonia cuttings, etc. or even other plant cuttings, for those that don't have alot of gessies . . . what is in the box at the time it arrives to you would depend on what is put in by the participants on the list before you. Let me know if you'd like to be added to the list.

Alum Bridge, WV

I'll take my chances. Yes, put me on the list....and thank you.

Fredericksburg, VA(Zone 7a)

I have never participated in a RR before...
I am interested!
Sounds like alot of fun!

Karen

Whitsett, NC(Zone 8a)

I figure we'll give it until the end of March for Sign-ups . . . the box can be sent out the first week of April. Why don't you all check your 10 day forecast and see if anyone has any lower temps . . . oh, and please make sure that your address in the exchange is up to date. If it is different than what is in the exchange, please send me a dmail.

Of those signed up so far, are there any of you that has traded with the other recently?

Columbus, OH

I haven't traded with anyone recently, with winter and all.

Sanbornton, NH

Hi Nichole,

They are talking nights in the twenties here for the next week. I will have a better idea next week for April, but maybe I should be near the end of the list. Do you have my address or do I need to get it to you? Thanks for hosting this. Sounds like great fun!

Earle

Whitsett, NC(Zone 8a)

We can definitely get you towards the end, Earle . . .

Montgomery, AL

I'll be at the Dixie AV convention April 18-21, so put me where I won't get the box around that time.
Jamie

Seymour, IN(Zone 5b)

I missed this thread and would love to be included, if it's not too late. Lou

Whitsett, NC(Zone 8a)

Just in time, Lou!

Seymour, IN(Zone 5b)

Thanks!!!

Whitsett, NC(Zone 8a)

Aside from Jamie going to the DAVS convention around the 21st, does anyone else have any time constraints during April?

Columbus, OH

Not of which I'm aware.

Palm Bay, FL(Zone 9b)

is it too late to join? I missed the beginning of this thread. I'll be away April 24th thru May 4th. So I can be toward the end of the RR. I'm so interested in this.
Eileen

Whitsett, NC(Zone 8a)

No, Eileen . . . not too late! I think 10 is a great number for a Round Robin!

Palm Bay, FL(Zone 9b)

Oh goodie/ I have lots to share. some AV bagies, epicia etc. When is it going to start? I hope you put me close to the bottom of list.
Eileen

Whitsett, NC(Zone 8a)

You'd rather be towards the end, instead of towards the beginning? Just want to make sure, 'cause I'm working on the RR route right now.

The RR itself will start sometime this week or this weekend. I wll start a real thread for the RR progress . . .

Has anyone traded with Vadis? I am waiting to hear from him about his zip code . . . it is missing a number in the exchange . . .

Earle - how is your weather this next week?

Akron, OH(Zone 5a)

I've got 26321 for Vadis' town.

BTW we are about to get snow here in OH next week, oh well.... In 2-3 weeks it should be safe for the plants though. Hopefully

Whitsett, NC(Zone 8a)

Tell the weather guy in OH that it is April already, and that all snowfall needs to be postponed!

Thanks for the zip! ^_^

Akron, OH(Zone 5a)

You're welcome Nichole. Well, it's our toll for 70+ F in March I guess!

Sanbornton, NH

Hi Nichole,

I know it is warming up a bit for the weekend but the nights are still cold. We have been below freezing every night this week. Just because it is April, doesn't mean it's warm up here. If you can put me near the end of the list, that would probably work out. Thank you for your concern.

Earle

Montgomery, AL

I'm going to start the box. I have lots of cuttings, leaves, and starter plants. Here's my question. I have little starter plants in solo cups. I'd like to shake off as much soil as possible and send them with the root ball wrapped. That'll keep the mess, weight, and space in the box down. What's the best way to wrap the starter? I have a box of sandwich baggies for the cuttings and leaves. I want to send a full, clean box.
Jamie

(Lynn) Omaha, NE(Zone 5a)

I usually leave the dirt on,wrap the soil ball with Press N Seal so no soil can escape,then wrap the whole thing in a small newspaper cone,fold over and staple or tape.

Lynn

Whitsett, NC(Zone 8a)

Ok, Earle . . . I'll check the map, and maybe put you and others near you towards the end of the RR . . . .

Palm Bay, FL(Zone 9b)

Syrumani, I'm leaving for NY on April 24th and won't be back until May 4th. If you think earlier is better, then that's OK. I didn't want to stress the person making the delivery list. If the box can get here in the beginning, it's OK with me.
Eileen

Whitsett, NC(Zone 8a)

Thanks, Eileen

Whitsett, NC(Zone 8a)

Let's all go here: http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1250679/

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.