Dahlias are sprouting(inside and out)

(Mary) Anchorage, AK(Zone 4b)

Well, it would be nice to see how the dahlia crowd is doing now. I know there was a thread that started out with what was purchased and then sort of developed into the sort of things that I though might be nice here. Plus some time has passed without any reports. There are a lot of different methods for storing and it is always interesting to see how they come out. Plus it would be interesting to hear from anyone so fortunate as to be able to leave them in the ground.

I lost maybe five new dahlias that had been sent as propagated starts. All of the ones that were tubers from a year or so ago are fine, as well as three new ones. I am thinking I may not divide in the fall again, but try to do so in the spring. Don't know if that is harder on them or not. The smaller guys seems tobe less prone to rot, or I am just to anxious to get them 'under wraps' (being one of the 'wrap in cellophane' crowd.

This message was edited Mar 21, 2012 11:06 AM

Wilmington, NC(Zone 8a)

I have been told that if heavily mulched I can leave tubers in the ground. I'm not brave enough to do that but I think I should try this year. I was following that thread and have started misting them. So far nothing. Any word on whether or not taking off the new growth (if i get some) is good for them?

I purposely broke off a piece and got a new one. I think the issue is that if you break off one eye, and that is the only one, I don't see how it can grow back. Don't know the answer. I did get another sprout but perhaps from a different eye. Mine are all up and growing inside. Have to hold til May 30. I would think you should be planting down there with your weather.

Wilmington, NC(Zone 8a)

Usually I do without hesitation but this year I'm curios to see them sprout. Maybe they're just ready to get outside. I know I am!

Mine start sprouting the end of February no matter how cool or dark it is for them. Silly tubers. I hold off until the first of March or a little later then lay them in flats to sprout away When they get bigger, say 2-3" tall and robust, I pot them up pending summer Some stay in pots and some go into the ground

Athens, PA

I need to pull mine from the attic and check them. I keep telling myself to do this and just haven't gotten around to it. Too much to do!

Well, now that your pond is settled down you will have time. You can sit on your deck with a glass of wine or tea and work on your dahlias while watching the fishies.

Athens, PA

Mary

You make it sound so simple - Tomorrow I am baking cookies to take over to my son's house and Friday, dinner with my son and my grandson!

Ummm, I think I like your idea better. And yes I was understating slightly.

Athens, PA

I know you were -

I love baking for my little guy. He just loves it and I remember my Gramma. She always had cookies and the like for us when we were small.....

Franklin, TN

I saved seeds, started them in Fed and have about 20 little seedlings. But it was so warm here (Middle TN) that almost every Dahlia from last year is already back. (In fact,. only Basil died from my herb garden.) The only thing is I always get in a hurry and forget to mark the colors (I always tell myself I'll remember) so it's a huge hodgepodge of color around the pool.

(Arlene) Southold, NY(Zone 7a)

Oberon - I think the premise is that if you remove an eye another eye will develop elsewhere on the same tuber.

Carolyn - have fun with your grandson and family. Good memories are a treasure.

smb - I wish I had a dollar for every time I said, "I'll remember". Enjoy all those colors.

Wilmington, NC(Zone 8a)

ok, my dahlias are in the ground. all 3 varieties. Better late than never. Its the first time I haven't potted them so if the site is good I'll add to my collection.

Warners, NY

Didn't grow dahlias until about three years ago when I got old Kelvin Floodlight or whatever you call it from our super market for $2.99---turned out they apparently like our glacial clay around here, and, other than the fact that I didn't stake them last year and they ended up on the ground I'm beginning to like them. Been stuck on daylilies too long and they are beginning to depress me---Spring Sickness and thrips and leaf streak and they can look awful ratty and seedlings that take three years to bloom--although I'll probably not stop dabbing a little pollen around just for amazement and amusement. Bought four dahlias for $2.99 apiece , another this morning, two yellows, (Golden Emblem) a Peaches and Cream,a red (Garden Wonder) and this morning, after my wife told me she had seen them on sale in a shopping cart an unnamed white simply called "dinner plate". All had sprouting eyes and I was between hay and grass as to weather to break them off. They all had other eyes and were in good shape for having been in a super market all Spring. Finally let the shoots on and planted them.(They were not on sale, by the way, store just stuck them in a shopping cart and put them in a sale area--Ha!) Using them in the back of a very unsuccessful attempt at a border so now must find something to plant in front of them---other than two foot yellow foxgloves.------------------------------------------Weedy

Laingsburg, MI

I planted dahlias and zinnias last summer for the first time and was so tickled by the array of colors and long-lasting blooms. I saved the dahlia bulbs, attempting to cut each piece with an eye and/or piece of the stem. ? I wintered them over in our insulated garage in one of those square kitty litter containers, filled it with peat moss, and placed them in the moss.

Am I to assume, with all this talk of sprouting bulbs, that the bulbs without any growth are dead?

You can always put the ones that haven't sprouted in a pot and put it outside when it gets a bit warmer and will remain warm at night. Many just take their time to sprout.

Laingsburg, MI

Good idea! Thank you!

Good luck. Some will sprout up fast with the warmth and sunshine while others may not. When you think you've given up you'll probably frighten them into growth if you threaten them with the trash bin. Just don't overwater them - that's almost certain death.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.