Yard today - clematis buds and a no show

Pearisburg, VA(Zone 7a)

My Barbara Harrington took off like crazy the first 3 years, growing far beyond normal rates. She was amazing. Last year she barely bloomed. So far she is not sprounting at all and looks like no sign of life. Not worried that she may be taking a vacation this year as Debbie at SSV said she may have worked herself out the first 4 years. Anyone experienced this with a clematis? Meaning heavy blooming for a couple years then nothing. I've only been into clematis for 5 years and have experienced slow to go clematis but not a kick butt one that turned it's head and stopped. The roots are there and healthy as I gently dug around the soil and found roots coming to just an inch under the soil - seems odd also.

I have Starburst that is ready to bloom. It's been in the high 70s to low 80s here for weeks which is not normal. We have been so lucky with great temps all winter. I have peony that are just popping up and clematis ready to bloom. Birds are nesting and out last frost date, normally, is May 10. I am keeping hope that the birds know more than the weather man.

So - about Barbara ......
Kathy

Williamstown, NJ(Zone 6b)

I agree, birds are nesting , peonies are almost up and some have buds forming. Some Clems are showing buds. Trees are starting to leaf out. It is strange, I am with you I hope we don't get a cold snap.

Pearisburg, VA(Zone 7a)

I think many clematis growers don't want to chime in on my problem with this clematis but I sure would like to have some opinions. Don't know if this is normal or if the clematis just died.....

Thanks for the reply marie. I'm sure we will get some more cold temps, this would be to easy.
Kathy

Williamstown, NJ(Zone 6b)

Maybe your Clem is not buried deep enough if the roots are so close to the surface. Try digging it up and putting some bone meal in the deeper hole then planting it again. Add some granular manure to the surface and working it into the soil. That is what was told to me and my Clems have gone crazy.

(Arlene) Southold, NY(Zone 7a)

I've never had BH and I never had a clem bloom itself to death. Wish I could be of more help.

Central, AL(Zone 7b)

Like Arlene, I have never grown BH, although I can sympathize Kathy's curiosity to find out what's happened to her beloved clem. Kathy. Looking back over the years. I've had some stunning performers clematis that are in shade of blue such as 'The President' and others unmarked clematises... I remember it (President) for its charming double blooms....just simply vanished, or like you've said better 'No show'.

My first reaction was? Ummm, must be those dern voles. But the difference is, I don't know if whether my 'No show' still has a healthy root system beneath the ground....so I simply assumed that voles have dugged them up and munch them down thus that accounted for the disappearance of the 'President'.

Anyhooo, few days past I ran across some of my garden photos that I've taken over the years. Then I realized, geez! I've lost quite a few more "blue" clematises than not just the 'President'. Now, I am wondering ... out loud; are they just short-lived clems.? But then again, many others that have gone 'missing' in the past. For instance, my large pinkish 'Asao' which has been my number one 1st blooming clem. (in our garden each year) near by the Azaleas bush -- which I though the shady condition may have just 'eaten' it up? Or 'drather' the acidity of the Azaleas' fertilizer causes the demise of my 'Asao'? Then the white blooming one 'Henryi' and who knows what else have I lost and not noticed. Teach me a lesson not having my clems. marked!

All that said, for me to conclude that environmental and pests and many other unknown conditions may have 'stolen' our clems. If my clem. roots are healthy but devoid healthy growth. I will ask these questions. Are they late to sprout? Or are there once sprouted, then being 'chomped' back down to the ground by pests such as rabbits, slugs and snails? Or totally vanished -- so could it be under ground pests such as voles or even chipmonds. I don't have the answer either. But one thing I know for sure. I'm going to replant my clematis and try to have them marked for future referrence, as well as be on the look outs for answers to those un-answered questions.

Long before I bought clem's individually, we'd buy collections from Wayside Gardens (when it was better than it is now). I still have those 16 clem's (now 18 and 19 years old) but I have had others disappear or just not return. My Pink Champagne was devoured by montana Grandiflora and that was my fault for allowing the montana to grow as it wished. I thought they looked so nice together but didn't realize the greedy montana would overtake the PC.

Thumbnail by pirl
Central, AL(Zone 7b)

Awww, Arlene. That PC looks very much like my disappearing 'Asao'. There we've it. Another environmental reason ...

Quoting:
over take
or being crowded out by other vegitations.

Pearisburg, VA(Zone 7a)

Thanks Pirl and others for chimming in. I've been told some times they hide out for a summer and come back full force even in display gardens for clematis nurseries. However, BH is planted by my deck, no sign of soil damage from moles/voles, no plants near except Comtesse de Bouchard which is doing great on her 2nd or 3rd year.

I recall the first and 2nd year I had BH she bloomed so much and grew so large that the seller could not believe how much it had produced in the first year, the 2nd year was even more amazing. She had never seen anything like it. Last year BH didn't do so great and now she has a few tiny nubs starting to come out but I'm not sure they are going to be much.

First pic is BH 2008 after planting her in March of that year, can't find my huge picture of her in 2010, this next picture was BH & Comtesse in June 2011 and BH is a fraction of the size she was in 2010. Will continue to search out my pictures for 2010 where she was climbed into a nearby tree in a swag form.

Lily_Love, you need EON markers or something to keep them labeled. It took one year of buying clematis to realize I needed to know more than "the purple one" lol I have over 50 and everyone is marked. I'm not planning on buying more unless I see a deal at a box store and give it a try - just no more room. This year is my year for annuals since I had some problems with Rose Rosette last year and want to see what problems I may have with that..........thanks to anyone who can

Thumbnail by shihtzumom Thumbnail by shihtzumom
Pearisburg, VA(Zone 7a)

Just went to my old thread from 2010 http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1105776/
Here is a pic of BH before I started her 'swag' into the tree

Thumbnail by shihtzumom
Central, AL(Zone 7b)

Kathy, those two together, wow what's a combo! Absolutely stunning!!!

Pearisburg, VA(Zone 7a)

They are 'sisters' in the clematis line. They were stunning!

Central, AL(Zone 7b)

Ooooh, Barbara Harrington is the name? I'm taking name, lol. Will be looking for it in the near future. Good gracious, I'd cry if I had and then lose it. Hope there will be an explaination for the reason that it's not thriving. What group of clem. does BH belong to Kathy?

Pearisburg, VA(Zone 7a)

check out the link I posted from my clematis in 2010
Kathy

Gorgeous duo and splendid blooms on BH. Clematis Guru grew it so you may want to do a search for her threads on it.

When I went to search for the roots on Pink Champagne I couldn't find any sign that it ever grew there so I can only surmise they just quietly disappear at some point. I now have another PC but it's about 3' from the original spot.

Pearisburg, VA(Zone 7a)

Thanks Pirl. I'm surprised you don't have BH. It's a beautiful clematis. I have another that I ordered spring 2011 and it's not in a great spot so I may relocate it.

Kathy

It's always a lack of space issue for me (and others), Kathy.

Pearisburg, VA(Zone 7a)

Here are a few updates with some beautiful blooms for April 10. This tiny clematis is Spider. A seedling from SSV from a few years ago.

Thumbnail by shihtzumom
Pearisburg, VA(Zone 7a)

Starburst - What a beautiful clematis. I have 2 from a discount deal at Lowes

Thumbnail by shihtzumom Thumbnail by shihtzumom
Pearisburg, VA(Zone 7a)

Gurnsey Cream

Thumbnail by shihtzumom
Pearisburg, VA(Zone 7a)

My new fountain. Starburst is in the back right near the evergreens.

Thumbnail by shihtzumom
Pearisburg, VA(Zone 7a)

another shot of Spider

Thumbnail by shihtzumom

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.