Help! My Spanish Bluebells are not blooming

Granite Bay, CA

My husband brought home a bunch of bulbs from work one day about 4 years ago, maybe 5 and I potted them up to make sure I didn't lose them in my garden so I could tell what they were. They turned out to be Spanish Bluebells and bloomed beautifully that first year. I kept them in their pots for the next year and the bloom was a lot less so the third year I planted them in several spots in my garden. They have been there for two years now and not a bloom! Lots of nice strapping leaves but that's it. What am I doing wrong? The leaves have gotten so big this year they fell over with the heavy rain and I don't see the beginning of any flower stalk. Any suggestions would be welcome.

Nantucket, MA(Zone 7a)

Do you let the leaves yellow naturally before cutting them down? Patti

Hannibal, NY(Zone 6a)

They might not be getting enough chill time?

Granite Bay, CA

I am letting the leaves yellow. Actually, I let them go till they are brown. As far as chill time, this is northern California and although it doesn't get that cold, my hyacinths bloom each year without a problem. What I did notice and did not mention is that the individual bulbs seemed to have gotten smaller and there were a lot more of them when I moved them to the garden from pots.

Thanks for the replies. I appreciate all the help I can get.

Nantucket, MA(Zone 7a)

Sounds like the little guys are just not ready to bloom yet. Maybe next year they will have matured enough to make you do the happy dance, Ha, always waiting for next year. Best of Luck, Patti

Granite Bay, CA

Sigh, next year is so far away. Maybe I'll go bug the county Master Gardeners for an answer. I am wondering if the soil was too good.

Duluth, GA(Zone 7b)

Hey OGRODNIK, I've had the Spanish Bluebells now for 2 years and they bloom fine for me.They're in an area planted with Ice King daffs, and I do fertilize with Bulb Food in the fall and spring. Some are in sun , others in semi-shade, and both sets are doing fine.

Have yours been fertilized since you planted them?

Huntersville, NC(Zone 7b)

This message was edited Mar 23, 2012 3:38 PM

Granite Bay, CA

I do fertilize regularly with triple 16. The areas they are in have the best soil of my garden which is why I am thinking maybe too much good stuff. The foliage is beautiful or was until the rain bent it over. Lush is the word to describe them.

Duluth, GA(Zone 7b)

It may be the fertilizer. Bulb Food has lower NPK. I know these will naturalize if left alone, so maybe too much love was given. Hopefully they'll bloom for you next year.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.