Pictures of spring growth of A.p. Shishi Yatsubusa

Milford, DE

I keep this plant in a pot on the deck to enjoy it's beauty up close. The plant measures about 18" wide and 18" high. The container is a 5 gallon. The plant is 6 years old so I guess it will be in this container for at least another 6 years.

Dave

Thumbnail by davesnursery Thumbnail by davesnursery
Pepperell, MA(Zone 6a)

very nice dave - does it stay outside during the winter? Hoping to get some good shots this spring.

Milford, DE

All my maples stay outside. The area in which I am in does not have a severe winter as other regions have. I have had no problems keeping maples outside in as low as 0 degrees as long as I kept them out of the wind and locate them on the north or east side of a building or wind brake.

Dave

Ripon, CA

Dave - Thank You for posting this picture. There isnt much out there on this variety.
Are the internodes very close together like that of Mikawa Yatsubusa ?
I have a Shishi Yatsubusa ( very small ) and it hasn't leafed out yet. I'm waiting anxiously.
Paul

Milford, DE

They are somewhat further apart unlike Mikawa which are in my area very close together. I have noticed that Mikawa's that have been shipped to the east coast have internodes that are much wider then when they are grown here but after a year or two the growth shuts down and becomes close together. The Shishi growth has a thinner wispier growth then the Mikawa.

Dave

Williamstown, NJ(Zone 6b)

Dave what is the best soil to plant a JM in a pot? I have a miniature that I want to put in one.

Dave where are you located in Milford? I have family in Harrington DE.

Milford, DE

I am 3/4's of a mile from the middle of town. Harrington is only 15 minutes from here.

I plant my JM'S in a porous soil. I mix peat moss, fine pine bark and top soil. Of course there are many mixtures so you have to do what works for you.

Dave

I got the organic potting soil today, it has a lot of bark and peat moss in it.
Two are now potted up. One I had in a smaller pot all winter and it did good, so I just increased the size to a deeper pot .

Do you happen to know any of the Teeds from Harrington?

Milford, DE

Sorry I only moved here in October of 2011 and do not know many people yet but I must say the people here are much different then the ones I left behind in Joisie. I just love the town here. Great place.

Dave

We call that area of De, Slower Lower De...lol
I know what you mean Dave. It is a great place to live. I miss that area. I would love to move back to either De or MD one day.
One of my maples (,Shishigashira), is suppose to get up to 18 ft tall, but if I keep it in a pot will that also keep it small? The other one is Akita yatsubusa, a dwarf by nature.

This message was edited Mar 28, 2012 7:54 PM

Milford, DE

I don't know how big the Shishigashira is now but I think I am safe to say that in this area you don't have enough years to live to see one get to 18' tall. In the Milford area it is called LSD (Lower Slower Delaware). I fit right in with this LSD crowd. What a trip.

This is a great area for anyone who is interested in growing maples for a living to start a JM farm. Low taxes, sub-tropical weather, and the availability to delivery to numerous metropolitan markets within 5 hours are incredible. I think with the increase in fuel that the West Coast will be limiting the shipping of plants to the East Coast thereby making growing and delivering to become regional once again.

Dave

Pepperell, MA(Zone 6a)

you may be right about regional delivery dave - got a couple things from hd yesterday and one did not work - drove back for a replacement which was a 45 minute round trip all i could think of was did ace hardware have these right around the corner?

Milford, DE

I check the Wal-Mart before venturing out in the shopping world. Most of the times I can find what I want and not only save on the fuel charges but the same items are far less than other places. If I can't find it there I then check the internet to see who has free shipping but I guess that is not going to last either.

I just don't understand why the gas prices are so high near $4.00 a gallon and the price for oil is around $107 per barrel. Back on 2008 the price of a barrel was as high as $150 and the gallon a gas was as high as $4.00. What is going to happen if the barrel reaches $150.00 again?

Dave

We will be staying home a lot more and only going to work Dave.

So far in 3 years it has grown , maybe 3 inches with no outward growth, so I would have to say you are right about me not being alive to see it get to full growth.

And you might be right about the slang for that area, it has been a while since I have been down that way. I dont get to see the relatives much anymore.

This year I decided to till up the ground all around this JM, ( orangeola) to give it more room to grow, and not have to try and cut the grass so close to it. I think it will look and do so much better now.

Thumbnail by marie_kap
Pepperell, MA(Zone 6a)

nice lantern:)

Dave , this is my little Akita yatsubusa. It is not leafing out like yours. Maybe she needs a little more sun.

Thumbnail by marie_kap
Milford, DE

Looks very nice. Give it another few weeks and it will be covered with leaves.

Dave.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.