Can gladiolus flower in midsummer?

lahore, Pakistan(Zone 10b)

Hi all,

I am in zone 10b subtropical semi-arid climate. We have mild winter and hot hot summers 100+F for many months. Dry heat from April-June and then humid monsoons from July-September. We normally plant gladiolus bulbs in November(our Fall) and they flower in spring. Some one told me that if i plant them in spring or start of summer, i can have blooms in mid summer that is May and June. I know they can be planted year round but if they are planted every month can they flower subsequently every month? Can they flower in mid summer?

Regards,
Muhammad Khabbab
Lahore, Pakistan

Rochester, MN

From what you describe I think you would have problems if you planted them now. I would try to plant more bulbs later next year. Instead of just November, plant some in December, January and February.

Glads can take 100F weather for maybe a week or so, but they need water, lots of water. I think a couple months would be too much even with water.

When you plant your bulbs, don't plant them all right side up. Mix them up, some right side up some side ways and some up side down. Doing that will extend your bloom times.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.