CLOSED: Hello Spring! Good-Bye to the Winter That Never Was

Blue Ridge Mtns, VA(Zone 7a)

By the time we wake up in the morning, Spring will have officially sprung!

This is an pic of our Cherry tree early last April, but it looks like that today, full of blossoms, bees buzzing and a few butterflies.

Thumbnail by FruitOfTheVine
(jax) Dundalk, MD(Zone 7a)

WHY! O WHY! .....why would anyone want ta show me thaat pic of ?Gunnera? snif! snif! ya knows i want on now! i jist luvs x-large tropical looking plants!!! where on earth did ya find that, happgarden?????????

Athens, PA

Susan

thanks for the new thread!

Carolyn, I kept watching how many posts the last thread had, was chomping at the bit to start a new one earlier, and waited not so patiently to start a new one in honor of Spring :)

From the looks of that Gunnera, we could all camp out under it in a rainstorm and never get wet, WOWSER I have faith yours is going to make some of the prettiest stepping stones ever, happ. I missed the boat. Didn't you order one for your son too, Debra?

Sandy, I know what you mean about being scared in a class setting trying to keep up and remember the important details, especially when it's test time. My memory is lousy the older I get and was scared stiff when I signed up for a County gardening class 2 years ago. I just know you'll do well and am ROOTING for you! Relax, enjoy every minute, and get to know your classmates. My SIL has been a Payroll Manager for 20+ years and still loves her job. Hang in there, girl!!

(Debra) Derby, KS(Zone 6a)

Howdy... Jax!

Hay I got my Gunneras today, they aint being kept warm, they are outside in the water bogged leaf filled trench that is full of almost three inches of rain overnight.

Water in jugs, bottles, buckets, tubs I am saving it all.
Anyway, I figure they going to have to pretend it is Spring, cuz Son moved a lot out already and I figured if they loose their leaves they can grow brand new ones. I spent the weekend making short rounds of leaf lifting and found so many things I had forgotten I had under them.
Sandy, yer gonna do JUST FINE. I know you will.
love, Debra
PS: My son is in the same situation with needing a roomie to help offset his shortness of funds every month just to keep his place by the lake.
He says " I don't have room for a roommate, my cat needs his two bedrooms to play in" Sheese!

(Carey) Austin, TX(Zone 8b)

Sandy, you'll be amazed at what you remember when you get back to school. Take it from a fellow student; you will do fantastic!

I keep waiting for the crazy storms to get here. I think I'll be asleep when they finally decide to roar through...which means I'll be up at 3am. Yuck!

Kansas City (Joyce), MO(Zone 5a)

Glad you got your Gunnera Debra. I saw a picture of a casting of one of the leaves and they are sort of cup shaped and they had water trickling out of it into a pond which is what I want to do. Boy if the leaves get as big as they say I would need to use rebar or something and flatten them, but wowzer would that make a wild beautiful walk.....hummmmm.... Got the wheels turning now...rofl

Winnetka, CA

Thanks for the welcome Debra!

I have never made any jam from the loquats... not that talented... although I did find out that my pups and my bunny love them!! I bet it would be great though....

Susan that cherry tree is gorgeous! Nancy

Lafayette, IN(Zone 5a)

Ok, this is the best place I know to come to vent! Since January 1, we have learned that my Ex has esophagus cancer that has spread to the liver and spine, my DFIL has lung cancer, the neighbor kid backed his dad's stick shift truck through our spare bedroom wall, my DH has been sick with bronchitis, the weather has been just perfect for working in the yard the past two weekends and I have bronchitis now too so haven't felt like playing in the yard and JUST NOW I got home and my DH put a load of clothes in the washer to wash and it stuck on 'fill' and ran over all over the hallway, bathroom, bedroom and kitchen! And March isn't over yet! I've called the insurance company and asked them to just send out the company that fixed the bedroom! I'm not sure there is enough Calgon to 'take me away'!

Athens, PA

Nancy

this is a great place to be- and definitely the place to vent if you need to -

Iris - if I had Calgon, I would be sending you some. I used to draw a nice hot tub of water and pour some of my cologne into the water and then powder myself with the same flavor powder as my perfume and I used to feel so good. Funny, I haven't thought about doing that in years....

Welcome Nancy!!!!

Iris, it sounds like you need a vacation from home! :(

Kiowa, CO(Zone 5b)

Debra...sure would like one of those leaves, lol. I wanna make some water troughs for the birds, guess I have to suffer with my rhubarb leaves instead, phooey.!!! Do you plan on digging and putting inside for the winter or is it hardy in zone 6? Yup, yup, sure do like that plant.......hint, hint. Just joking.

Fruity...thanks for the new thread and just love the pix!!!!!

Thumbnail by warriorswisdomkathy
Greensboro, NC(Zone 7b)

Just checking in.

Iris - sounds like a mess. I will look for the Calgon. :/

I've been dog-sitting for . . . it'll be a week tomorrow. The man (I met him on the street a month ago in my little neighborhood!) said Monday. Then his email said he had to take his momma to the doctor and wouldn't be back till Tuesday (today). Then this morning after I got back from his house there was a VM saying he was calling to see if I could look after the dogs another day because 'something's come up', 'the roads down here . . ..", 'my car broke down and my bank . . .." and the dog ate my homework.

Huh? The answering machine cut him off. O well. 2 cute jack russell terriers, but they're starting to get on my nerves. If I wasn't so darned nice to animals I wouldn't be over there 3x a day. They're on to me though. Won't let me out of the house now w/o a pupperoni stick for each of them.

Worn out.
A.

Iris, when it rains it pours. I don't have all the illnesses in family anymore, but certainly know what you are going thru. Feel better soon and remember that all things must pass. I have been water vac'ing the basement from all the rain that comes in back in the corner, good thing I have a method of saving newspapers and cardboard to make my dam, empty the shopvac into the garden, ( it is under water right now anyway)

Calgon, * sigh* and candles, wine and music.. perfect place to be while it is raining.

Kathy, check with me later.. *hint hint* I am leaving it out since I have been changed to zone 6b almost 7.. things that aren't supposed to winter over outside have done it so far. ( things like cannas, dahlias and salvia gauratica)

Kiowa, CO(Zone 5b)

LOL...thanks deb

Athens, PA

Deb -

how is your sister? I have thought of her often.

Good Morning.. Thanks for asking about my sister, Carolyn, she is doing wel. She got some fake boobies for when she goes to church dresed up, and while she was here visiting with me she had me feel them and they felt really natural. Her health has improved, she is back to eating cookies like she used to, and she said her taste buds are back, so watch out. We are so looking forward to our trip in May, altho she keeps asking me if I REALLY want to drive so far away. I keep telling her that is part of the adventure. ( We ar headed south to the ocean and then following the coastal highway from Texas to western Florida) Her last PET scan showed all clear. We only have 8 days to set foot on as many beaches as possible. She has never been on a beach, yet she was born in Oceanside, California.

Oh what a fun trip you both will have, Debra, wiggling your toes on the beaches....

My Mom had a fake one, things you don't think about is when you would raise your arm your Boobies stop your undergarments from going too far up and cause them to go back down when you lower your arm, but the fake ones don't do that so well. So I found some mitten clips and we clipped one end to the bottom of the bra and then the other to her panties...rofl, then so carefully tightened the elastic to get the right amount of tension. So we would tease her about having her suspenders on....rofl.

(Ang) Bremerton, WA(Zone 8b)

Hello, I hope everyone is having a good day. Yesterday the weather was just depressing but today it is absolutely beautiful.

I have a clematis from Costco putting out lots of green growth, but nothing from the other clematis in the pack or the walmart one.
My plants from Dogwooderitternet are doing well outside and have perked up.
4 jugs I wintersowed have lots of seedlings. The pots of Agastache seedlings indoors are doing well, with golden jubilee looking the best.

I also have some new Aloes with lots of pups. I have a hybrid and one called pink.

Angie sure sounds pretty. Only clematis I have any luck with is Jackmani. My Mom had a beautiful huge white one, can't think of the name but the blooms were huge!

Athens, PA

Deb

sounds like a great trip!

Happ - too funny. If it works though, I would go with it!

Ang - do you know what types of clematis you bought? I have some as well and really love them. There are a lot of really nice people on the clematis forum and a lot of good information over there as well if you want to take a peak!

Lafayette, IN(Zone 5a)

On the bright side....... new carpet in the bedroom, new floor in the bathroom, new vanity, new flooring in the living room and hallway! Oh and a new washer! At Comfort Inn for a few nights....... those fans drying out the house will run continuous for 3days. They are noisy but the really bad part is the heat they put out! Must be 97 degrees in that house! No central air and since this is only March, we haven't put the window units in yet.......

The only 2 rooms remaining in the house that will not have had any repairs/remodeling will be the office and kitchen.

Debra: sounds like an awesome trip for you and your sister! Hope you have fantastic weather and a wonderful time!

I'm exhausted so going to bed......catch up with y'all tomorrow!

You're been through the ringer with a host of calamety of errors, Debbie. We've been renovating for years and don't know if we'll ever be finished. When we fix up one room, it just makes the others look yucky and outdated. If I had a "do-over" we would have rented or sold our house "as is" several years ago before we ever started. That's about the same time we found a modest dream house a block from the beach in NC.

Speaking of the beach, Debra, you and your Sis tickle your toes in the sand every chance you get for me! I've been to beaches up and down the East Coast but have never been to one on the Gulf Coast. And here's a tip if you want to pick up shells. "Shelling on beaches or islands that run East to West are the best!" Currents running North and South keep the waters churned up. Although I have picked up a few rare and unusual shells after a Hurricane.

Some of you have seen this photo before, but the only Clematis I have is Elsa Spaeth, and she was still blooming at Christmas!

Thumbnail by FruitOfTheVine
Kiowa, CO(Zone 5b)

Gosh talking about remodeling....got roofers here again today. Holy cow.........I'll be glad when they are done!!! Can't even think straight is sooo noisy, but they are almost done, yeahhhhhhhh. Back to working on the cupboards on Saturday, spose to be 70's for several more days. Hate to say it but I want my snow now, thanks!! Do I have to start dragging the hose around the garden??? Phew. Ok, exerises done am ready, lol.

The ones from Costco are Red Cardinal and Miss Bateman. The one from Walmart is Nelly Moser. The Miss Bateman are the only ones doing the growing.

Athens, PA

Ang

My Miss Bateman is the first one to flower - it might have something to do with it. Are you familiar with the pruning groups?

San Bernardino, CA(Zone 9a)

I hit Big Lots today. Holy Cow! They have those little greenhouse thingies. The ones on rollers with the zippered covers. The one with three selves is 20 dollars and the larger one with four shelves is 30. They had bunches of starter trays too. Of coarse I only had enough money for one of the small ones, but I'm a very proud mini greenhouse owner. They also had some of the cutest lawn art. If I ever win the lottery I'm going to go crazy with all the cute frogs, gnomes and flamingos.

(Judy) Simpsonville, SC(Zone 8a)

Guess I'm going to stop by Big Lots tomorrow and see if ours has those little greenhouses, sounds great.

Carolyn ... no lol. I know nothing about pruning.

Athens, PA

Ang

Check out the clematis forum. All the clems you mentioned are type 2 pruning group.

One of these years, I'd love to have a bubbling multi-tiered water fountain, but don't have a clue where I'd put it. I'd be content to just have some kind of a water feature and thought about adding a little bog garden. Maybe in one of those plastic kiddie pools? It would be sunk in the ground in full sun and wondered if any of you have suggestions for appropriate plants, or any tips or tricks that have worked for you. The area I have in mind is far from an electrical outlet and digging a trench isn't feasible. In my little research thus far, the only plants I've seen in photos that I'm familiar with are EE's, Cannas, and Lotus growing in water but didn't take note whether or not they require a electric bubbler for oxygen.

Debra - when you go through Florida, make sure to stop at St. Andrew's State Park near Panama City Beach - home of "sugar sand" http://www.floridastateparks.org/standrews/ I used to live very close by. Absolutely beautiful. (Although make sure to also stop by Seaside, FL, where the movie "Truman Show" was filmed) http://www.seasidefl.com/history/beaches/

Ang - I also picked up a bag of clematis from Costco as well as some callas. Unfortunately they're still in their bags. Now that it's stopped raining, it has gotten really warm during the day already. UGH. :(

Kiowa, CO(Zone 5b)

HEY FRUIT...guess what, I got a pix for ya.....Thankyou again!!

Outside all afternoon doing spring cleaning at my daughter's garden, was great today, but I still want snow. I'm not sure how to act. We've never had NO snow in March before,so far only a trace. I know it's to early, I'm guessing we'll get some next month, or atleast hope so. Was in the upper 70's today, and again for several more days.

Debra,, when will you be in Florida??

(susie) Hastings, MI(Zone 5a)

OPEN PLANT SWAP STARTS APRIL 7 TH COME SIGN UP IF YOU WOULD LIKE TO JOIN US .

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1248330/
http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1248330/

Sand Springs (Tulsa), OK(Zone 7a)

Hi all. Haven't been on much this week. Have had my 2 DGD. Ages 5 & 7. Soooooo much fun! Have to take them home this morning. Blah!!!! I wanna keep them.

Here are my Cowgirls, or is that Burrogirls, with Jake the mini burro. They LOVE him and of course, we had to buy them hats!

Thumbnail by Crit Thumbnail by Crit Thumbnail by Crit Thumbnail by Crit Thumbnail by Crit
(Crystal) Waverly, AL

Crit-pics so cute.
Fruity, Papyrus is good without any bubbler,etc. Will come back, for me, also.

Blackshear, GA

Hello ladies
Not a good day for me....got a call from my mom at 6:30 this morning saying dad had a heart attack. Sitting in hospital now waiting......think they caught it in time...so my dear friends
if you would say a prayer from him I would greatly appreciate it

(Linda Kay) Amarill, TX(Zone 7a)

Sending lots of prayers your way!

(susie) Hastings, MI(Zone 5a)

SENDING T"S & P"S Girl Just stay with them they will need you , Just keep us up-dated .
susie

Post a Reply to this Thread

You must log in and subscribe to Dave's Garden to post in this thread.