Insecticide in garden soil as preventative??

Goshen, IN

Each year I have a huge problem (especially on beans) with bugs attacking the plants and veggies. Could I put an insecticide down (on the soil) before even planting? It's very difficult to effectively dust the plants and the beans after they are mature.

Dublin, CA(Zone 9a)

Maybe, maybe not...depends on what you're trying to kill and what pesticide you were hoping to use. If you can give some more info about the specific bugs that you had problems with someone can advise you on more efficient ways to control them.

Richland, WA(Zone 7b)

I would think that to work that way the pesticide would need to be systemic, and as far as I know there is only one that is safe for edibles. I started using it last year with some success, but it does not control spider mites- did a good job deterring aphids. It is a thick liquid that you mix and water into the soil at the time of planting, or when seedlings emerge. It is used only once . It's pricey, and not many nurseries carry it.

Thumbnail by JoParrott
Goshen, IN

I think they are Mexican Bean Beetles- tannish color with spots. Also some small black beetles.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.