organic recipe for conditioning bales

Gainesville, FL(Zone 9a)

Apologies if this is old news to most of you. I found this tonight and found it pretty helpful. Not sure if I can afford all of this, but interesting nonetheless. I will probably stick with blood meal and bone meal for financial reasons.

http://thisfamilyof4.blogspot.com/2011/04/organic-straw-bale-garden-conditioning.html

Wake Forest, NC

Forget the bone meal for prepping the bales.

You need something with a high nitrogen content for the "quick cook" method.

Blood meal is good, but ain't nothing like the 34-0-0 ammonium nitrate, if you can find it.

Ammonium sulphate will work, too.

Urea is good.

Otherwise, just set your bales out at least 30 days prior to transplanting/planting, water them down good for the 1st couple of days and then just keep the bales moist from then on out.

Kent

Gainesville, FL(Zone 9a)

Thanks, Kent!

It's times like these I really wish I could pee standing up. I guess I could get out there and hover once it gets dark enough!! : ) : ) : )

Bardstown, KY(Zone 6a)

That's a dedicated gardener!!!

Doug

Longview, WA(Zone 8b)

Hi dbanks,
I advocated saving pee at a school in Haiti for fertilizer. If you have your family save it, you can dilute it 10/90 with water. It wouldn't
take too much to treat a bale.
It sure worked great in Haiti. We had 450 little peeers in the school so we could get quite a bit of free fertilizer. Pee comes from the body very pure with few of the problems associated with stuff from the other end.
I know you were joking, but in some areas this is an overlooked source of fertilizer. I advocate using what is around us without shelling out hard earned $.
Sorry for being so serious.
Paul.

Allen Park, MI(Zone 6a)

I used Blood meal last year, it works fine.

Paul

Gainesville, FL(Zone 8b)

Quote from dbanks :
Apologies if this is old news to most of you. I found this tonight and found it pretty helpful. Not sure if I can afford all of this, but interesting nonetheless. I will probably stick with blood meal and bone meal for financial reasons.

http://thisfamilyof4.blogspot.com/2011/04/organic-straw-bale-garden-conditioning.html

dbanks, I'm in Gainesville too (a few miles outside city limits, actually). FYI, Alachua Seed & Feed on 6th either has or can get your choice of ammonium nitrate or urea, both "high-proof" sources of nitrogen. Strictly in terms of the amount of nitrogen per dollar, they are hard to beat.

I would stay far away from Milorganite. It is treated urban sewage, and is only recommended for lawns and ornamental plantings. It may be safe from a bacteriological standpoint, but as municipal sewage it contains whatever gets flushed down toilets or poured down sinks throughout the city. That includes everything imaginable - heavy metals, drainage from automotive centers and car parks containing the contents of broken batteries and petroleum spills, latex paint, organic solvents, old pesticides, leftover out-of-date prescription medicine - anything that anyone wants to get rid of and doesn't want to pay to have treated or hauled away. A real witches brew.

-Rich

This message was edited Apr 8, 2012 1:28 AM

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.