Santa Barbara International Orchid Show

Santa Ana, CA(Zone 10b)

Well, I finally made it to this big one. The photos aren't the best due to bad lighting, crowds, and my lack of camera skills, but you'll get the idea. I tried to get the more unusual ones. There were Cyms of every size , shape and color. I especially liked the freckled ones. I've never seen them before.

Thumbnail by OCCAROL Thumbnail by OCCAROL Thumbnail by OCCAROL Thumbnail by OCCAROL Thumbnail by OCCAROL
Santa Ana, CA(Zone 10b)

More

Thumbnail by OCCAROL Thumbnail by OCCAROL Thumbnail by OCCAROL Thumbnail by OCCAROL
Santa Ana, CA(Zone 10b)

There were hundreds of Phals, but these first two really got my attention, considering this a show, what do you think? The colors are acurate.

Thumbnail by OCCAROL Thumbnail by OCCAROL Thumbnail by OCCAROL Thumbnail by OCCAROL Thumbnail by OCCAROL
Santa Ana, CA(Zone 10b)

Here's why we like minis! There were at least 56 orchids in this 6 ' tall X 4' square case ( Idid see tag #56 in one of the pics I deleted). The rest of the pics are of this case.

Santa Ana, CA(Zone 10b)

I ran out of space on my card, but not before I got the name of this Den.

Sarasota, FL(Zone 9b)

Lovely, fabulous, fantastic, Carol! Guess it was worth the drive, huh?

I'm particularly taken with the one in the middle picture of your first post - looks like it's maybe a Cym with flowers that look like lilies? Just wonderful.

I'm going to have to start seeking out more orchid shows, I guess. The one I went to here in Sarasota was very small.

Santa Ana, CA(Zone 10b)

Nothing wrong with the small ones! You get to know your local vendors. I go to all the local shows, but I was determined to go to the "big" one this year. It was doomed by the orchid Gods from the git-go. Bad weather, bad traffic, neighbor on again, off again, lost in LA... too stressful to really have fun. That being said, the vendors I'm familiar with had booths three times as big as what they have at the smaller shows, and there are a lot more vendors attending, plus great displays. Sorry I didn't get more decent pictures!

Brea, CA(Zone 10b)

I should have gone. Thanx for the show CArol

Santa Ana, CA(Zone 10b)

You're welcome. I wish I had gotten more pics, but it didn't happen. It was a miserable drive. Drizzle all the way, and traffic was terrible.

Brea, CA(Zone 10b)

Today is sunny, cool and very windy. So much for the storm of the year, should have klleft early this morning. What followed you home, Carol.

Santa Ana, CA(Zone 10b)

Zygonisia cynosure 'Blue Bird', Den. Roy Tokunaga, Isochilus species OZ, and another Maxi. picta. I'll post pictures when I can get some. The wind is really howling here. Ha! The storm of the year gave me a whole half inch of rain. Looking like my 'chids are going to be drinking city water this summer.

Cleveland,GA/Atlanta, GA(Zone 7b)

Carol, thanks for the photos. I had the best intentions of taking photos throughout our show and then got so busy it never happened. It's a lot of work to shop and photograph. Can't wait to see your new orchids.

Santa Ana, CA(Zone 10b)

Hmm. No comments on those "blue" Phals? I didn't see any like that in the vendor bldg, but I wasn't looking for Phals in there. They definately stopped me in my tracks in that display though.

Odessa, FL(Zone 9b)

Thanks for posting, Carol. I always enjoy the eye candy.

Jim

The joke of the Atlanta show every year is the trophy for "Best Blue Phalaenopsis" It's for real, though it's not been awarded to my knowledge, since the trophy was sponsored. There are Phals, like Catts that are considered blue and Phal growers, like Catt growers, tae their colors seriously. We finally asked the sponsor of that trophy if he would be willing to sponsor another category since there has never been a submission..

Santa Ana, CA(Zone 10b)

dyzzy, No, that isn't a Cym. That's probably the only one I got a pic of the tag on.LOL! That is it's basket you see.

Sarasota, FL(Zone 9b)

Ah, I see. I thought it was going up when it's really going down.

I must admit I did wonder about the purple Phals. Very pretty color actually.

Carol, was the minis display from Andy's? I ask because Harry Phillips did a similar display from Andy's. Andy picks the orchids and mounts them to the display piece before a show and then packs the entire mount, intact, in a shipping box. There is a graphic itemization of plants that Harry makes tags from, just like the the display you pictured. Each mini has a tiny, white numbered tag and then there is a black and gold show card identifying each orchid with a number on the display mount. It was beautiful.

Santa Ana, CA(Zone 10b)

I didn't see who did the display. I have to admit it looks like something Andy would do though. I thought it was pretty amazing to see all those blooming orchids in such a compact area. You obviusely couldn't grow them there unless they all had the same requirements, and even then they wouldn't all be blooming at the same time, but it does illustrate what one can grow in a compact space. By the way, the whole crew was there, but Harry was on the register, so no time to chat. Bill, who is usually on the register, asked me if I was following him.LOL! By 10:30 they had already found two switched tags! These folks know an $18 orchid from an $ 28 orchid! I must say though, the Isochilus OZ will be a surprise when it blooms. There is no pic on their site, and Andy was running around sticking the photo cards in plants as they sold, and I think the pic I saw was of I. major. Hopefully, surprises are good because that one was done blooming. In any case, I like the plant.
From Andy's Isochilus OZ, and Maxi picta (one of several) and from Orchids and gardens Zygonisia cynosure 'Blue Birda', and Den. Roy Tokunaga.

Thumbnail by OCCAROL

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.