Last Freeze Dates for SE South Carolina

Summerville, SC(Zone 8a)

I emailed our weather guy asking if it was safe to unload the greenhouse .. here is his response with dates for SE Carolina:

Hey Anne……

I know it’s a tough call, but based on our computer models over the next couple of weeks, I don’t see any cold weather coming this way. The chances of seeing a freeze are becoming less and less likely by the day. The average date of the last freeze for North Charleston is March 13th

Here are some other dates you might be interested in…..Hope this helps

Rob

...SOUTHEAST SOUTH CAROLINA...

DOWNTOWN CHARLESTON...... FEBRUARY 16
FORT MOULTRIE............ FEBRUARY 27
BEAUFORT................. MARCH 2
EDISTO BEACH............. MARCH 6
NORTH CHARLESTON /KCHS/.. MARCH 13
HAMPTON.................. MARCH 16
PINOPOLIS DAM............ MARCH 19
SUMMERVILLE.............. MARCH 21
YEMASSEE................. MARCH 21
RIDGELAND................ MARCH 23
WALTERBORO............... MARCH 25
ALLENDALE................ MARCH 25
MCCLELLANVILLE........... MARCH 28

Sumter, SC

The last frost/freeze date in the midlands is around April 7, so I'm only moving plants outside my GH and backporch that can handle a light freeze. I'm reminded of the toasty March several years ago that was followed in mid April by 3 nights in a row in the mid 20's here in the midlands. That year the adage that we get no frosts after Pecan trees leaf out was proved wrong. Hope Mother Nature has no tricks up her sleeves this spring!

Johns Island, SC

I already threw caution to the winds and moved almost everything out of the GH. Just a "gut feel" on this year's crazy weather. Frantic time of year for us gardeners! Potted up 60 Coleus today and moved them outside. Ran out of saucers... Need to order some more...If I remember to do it! If not, I'm in deep doo-doo! Because I've got 120 Impatiens to pot up for Plantasia. Getting old is really challenging! And it's time to start the vegetable garden... Need to plant a jillion seeds for a spring/summer crop..Lawsy, I'm tired! (Or is it "I'm tarred")? And it's only just begun...

Summerville, SC(Zone 8a)

Lol, I know what you mean about getting old being challenging .. my body can't keep up with my mind! Yesterday I potted up 20 MG seedlings, 4 Castor, 4 Unicorn/Devil's Claw, 3 Geraniums and 3 Roselles .. then started 20 more MG's, 35 Zinnias, some Dianthus and Blue Oxalis! More going on today!

Thumbnail by Xeramtheum Thumbnail by Xeramtheum Thumbnail by Xeramtheum Thumbnail by Xeramtheum
Kure Beach, NC(Zone 9a)

I brought everything out from the greenhouse and sunroom a few days ago. I have decided it will NOT get cold again!
The only plnts inside are the veggie seedlings in my kitchen garden window and I ahve the winows open in it.
X, I just looked up blue oxalis. Too cool!
Barb

Summerville, SC(Zone 8a)

I had never heard of blue oxalis - I got the seeds in an awesomely epic stupendous massive seed trade with Emma Grace. She also sent me Dregea sinensis - flowers kinda look like hoya - same family Asclepiadaceae! Another plant I've never heard of.

Kure Beach, NC(Zone 9a)

I like it!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.