Before and now

Windsor, CA(Zone 9b)

For what ever reason this peony really likes where it is planted. It grows larger every year and sent out some runners about two feet away. The flower buds are close to opening. Xuling

Thumbnail by xuling Thumbnail by xuling
Stamford, CT(Zone 6b)

Xuling, I don't know how old the peony is, the the growth is not so unusual. I'm just surprised that it is making buds in zone 9b! It will be awhile before those buds open. What is the difference in time between the two photos? Please send a photo when it blooms. I know there a few varieties that will bloom in warmer zones.

Windsor, CA(Zone 9b)

Hola cathy166, I can't remember how old the plant is, maybe 4 years old (+/-). I don't think it will be long before the buds open. The first pic is of the plant taken 04.21.2010 (not so big and difficult to see) with flowers on it. The second pic is a close up of a flower taken 04.18.2012. And the third pic is a close up of one of the buds taken today with the ubiquitous ants on it. When it blooms I will post some more pics. Xuling

Thumbnail by xuling Thumbnail by xuling Thumbnail by xuling
Stamford, CT(Zone 6b)

The ants are a good thing. It's a gorgeous peony. I don't know the weather in Windsor, but here in the northeast, you can count on rain when peonies bloom. Just an irony. I have put them to bed with plastic hats.

Windsor, CA(Zone 9b)

well it is raining like cats and dogs now and expected to off and on thru next week end, so I will see how the buds do, if they blossom or not during the rain. xuling

Stamford, CT(Zone 6b)

The way it works is that the blooms open and are beautiful for a day, and the weatherman laughs. Then it is pouring.

Windsor, CA(Zone 9b)

and the rain kills some of my cactus along with ruining the peonies. nature laughs at us all the time.

Windsor, CA(Zone 9b)

These two buds are growing and the one is trying to open. The other buds are further behind in growth but growing.
Xuling

Windsor, CA(Zone 9b)

Updated pics on the same two buds. It is drizzling out side so it is just as well they haven't opened. But I am leaving Monday for ten days and they willl open and die before I return!! Drats. Xuling

Duluth, GA(Zone 7b)

I hate when that happens. Can a neighbor, family or friends take pictures for you while you're gone? I have a great neighbor who is just as crazy about gardening as I am and she would do it for me.

Stamford, CT(Zone 6b)

Xuling, cut some of those stems with buds and refrigerate. I have never done it, but I understand that it is a good way to save them and have them for when you return. I know I've seen it on this forum for firm buds.

Windsor, CA(Zone 9b)

Probably a very good idea cathy166, but I do not cut my flowers unless by accident the stem gets bent or sliced or whatever. Today a dog stepped on a ranunculus plant and bent a stem with a flower bud, so I cut it and put it in a crystal container to do what ever it does when I am gone (probably bloom and die). Xuling

Stamford, CT(Zone 6b)

xuling, did you ever get to enjoy your blooms?

Windsor, CA(Zone 9b)

Hola Cathy166, Oh YES YES YES, they held off blooming until I reutrned and continued blooming for weeks. The last is fading away now. I have hundreds of pics, but have been so busy that I haven't posted any of them. You have prodded me now and I will get to it in the next couple of days. The plant and blooms really are spectacular, so thanks for the push. Xuling

Stamford, CT(Zone 6b)

Looking forward to seeing them. I know how hard it can be to fit in the time to download and post, especially if you take lots of photos.

Windsor, CA(Zone 9b)

Here are some edited pics of the Peonies. They took a long time developing and lasted a long time before their leaves changed to white and dropped off leaving pods. I have left the pods on the bush. What will happen to them? Xuling

Thumbnail by xuling Thumbnail by xuling Thumbnail by xuling Thumbnail by xuling Thumbnail by xuling
Windsor, CA(Zone 9b)

And some more pics. This is a test to see if you noticed that #3 and #4 are the same pic!!! ja ja ja xuling

This message was edited Apr 30, 2012 6:28 PM

Thumbnail by xuling Thumbnail by xuling Thumbnail by xuling Thumbnail by xuling Thumbnail by xuling
Windsor, CA(Zone 9b)

and the last pic

Thumbnail by xuling
Windsor, CA(Zone 9b)

This seems to be the last Peony for the season. Hopefully the plant will be larger next year as it has been every year. (It and all the other plants!!). Xuling

Thumbnail by xuling
Stamford, CT(Zone 6b)

Magnificent colors and lovely photos. Thank you for posting them.

It is such a shame that the bloom season is so short, but it makes the blooms even more cherished.

Here in zone 6b (or maybe 7) the tree peonies have started blooming. I take lots of photos, but I never remember how beautiful they are until once again I see the real thing.

Windsor, CA(Zone 9b)

I am taking hundreds of photos daily of all the flowers and cactus in bloom, an in the budding stage also. And how quickly I forget how beautiful they are until I see them. The photos do help, but not like the real thing. Xuling

Windsor, CA(Zone 9b)

I received a Dutch Bulbs bulbs/plants for sale magazine and in it is a Peony named 'Coral Sunset' and I believe that is this Peony; and I actually seem to remember ordering it from Dutch Bulbs. (dutchbulbs.com). I am just a little slow. I have some photos of shoots sprouting from the grond and how much it has spread. I will go find one and post it, even if one cannot see much.
Xuling

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.