Help requested troubleshooting Gardenia.

Jacksonville, FL

I have never posted before, so please let me know if this is the wrong forum. I read the FAQ and this is the forum linked to for help with identifying insects and diseases.

I purchased these 2 gardenias at the same time last year. Both looked the same at the time of purchase. Since that time I have potted and treated them in every way similarly and they are located only feet apart and get the same exact amount of water and light. You can see one plant is doing quite well (although admittedly needs a little pruning) and the other plant is just barely hanging in there. The leaves seem consistently light green/yellow and the plants has now looked pretty much the same for about 6 months. To my eyes it does not look like veining as many things I have found suggest nutritional deficiencies but alwayssays the leaves will be veined. Any suggestions?

Thumbnail by donrull Thumbnail by donrull Thumbnail by donrull
Somewhere in, MD(Zone 7b)

Good morning! :) You sure have come to the right place, no worries.

It looks like stress to me. While they may be getting the same care, and growing in the same, or similar, conditions now, who's to say what was going on with them when you first bought them, ya know? Check way down into the root system to make sure it's not water-logged, to start with, (not to mention root-bound). Massage the container (if it's pliable), to loosen up the soil "ball from the container" and, while holding onto the main stem down near the crown, tilt the planter and ease the whole thing out and examine the soil (wet? dry?), and the roots. If it is installed directly into the ground, use a SHARP gardening tool (shovel or spade) to dig around the root ball, a good foot-and-a-half away from the root ball as you remember it when you installed it, and down as close to a foot as possible BELOW where you know the bottom was when you installed it. Get the shovel or spade under it and gently "pry" it up so you can inspect the roots and the soil. Again, looking for overly-wet or dry soil, and looking to see what colour the roots are (you want 'em to be white or pale yellow), and making sure the roots are not all wound up tightly,... or maybe eaten off by a vole!?!? EEEK!! While you're in there, also check to make sure you don't see any nasty buggy creatures that don't 'belong'.
Micro-climates in our gardens are funny things; what may do well in one spot won't necessarily do great just 2 feet away. The soil might be more compacted under/around that one than it is under and around the other one, or any number of other things.

Even though Gardenias bloom on "old wood", (which means that the time to prune them is after the blooms fade in the summer), I would suggest a pruning now anyway, especially to see what the wood looks like under the bark. (or, you could just scrape back some bark to see what the wood looks like underneath. You want green. White or pale yellow indicates stress, brittle brown means big trouble or already dead). If you prune, make sure your pruners are CLEAN first, by giving them a good rinsing in rubbing alcohol then letting them dry before pruning. Just prune back the affected-looking parts. Water deeply if you've found the soil to be dry, and give it a good feeding. It may just need to be babied a little bit. Whether it needs water or not, give it a good organic feeding. I can suggest one fertilizer that I know of that is organic and DOESN'T need to be watered in, and that's Dr. Earth LIFE fertilizer; totally organic, and just sprinkling it around the plant on the surface of the soil is enough, though you can gently work it into the loosened up soil with your fingers if you want. I'm sure there's loads of others that other members here could recommend to you, but that's one that I use... a lot! =)

Just a thought... is it possible that something is shading the other (healthy) one just a bit more than this troubled one? Are you able to check it out all throughout the day, to see how much sun it's getting all during the afternoon?

Based on the fact that it doesn't look like I see anything **on** the plant itself according to the photos, and you haven't said that you see any discolouration on it anywhere (other than the leaves being slightly yellowed, that is), that's all I can think of off the top of my flat head! < =D
I hope this is of some help to you Donrull. Please check back in and add any other info that comes to mind so we can help you as best we can.

=)

This message was edited Mar 15, 2012 6:47 AM

Anaheim, CA

Good info above. I'd just like to add that the first photo looks like my gardenia when it's thirsty. An old wise grandpa-looking gardener gave me advice once, when I asked him a similar question about two identical plants that were performing differently. He asked me if I had children. I said yes; he asked if either was a picky eater. I said yes, as a matter of fact. He said "Plants are like kids. Some eat more than others, even in the same family. If one of your kids is more hungry, you feed that kid more." I laughed, and it's stuck with me. Some plants just want more water. Also, check the underside of the leaves. If you see any spots, you may have sucking insects that don't wash off easily. I've stood with my gardenia, hose in one hand, and the other hand rubbing the back of the leaf (every one!) with my thumb as I washed off the bugs. (they don't fly) It helped it recover- Simply hosing won't dislodge them. Good luck!

Burien, WA(Zone 7b)

The stressed plant looks like it is getting to much sun, and/or heat.
Even if it is only a little bit more sun, it's is reflected back by that stucco column behind it making it more intense.

Gardenias are finicky and something as simple as that can make them stressed.
Make sure you're using a good acidic fertilizer for them, especially if they are in pots.

Somewhere in, MD(Zone 7b)

Donnadoright, what a cool and wise Grandpa-gardener friend!! That's a really good way to look at it, never thought of it that way but it makes perfect sense.

HydroPinke, Yep yep, that's sorta what I meant when I mentioned the micro-climates, but you put it way better than I did. =)

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.