PSU toast?

Leesburg, FL(Zone 9b)

I have an almost 6 yr old computer, today - it would not turn on, only a blinking amber light.

but now that i think back - it's been shutting down, and then i will notice the light blinking -- last evening, i could not get the computer to turn off -- had to pull the power cord to get the light to turn off.

so -- it's possible this has been happening for sometime.

I have my laptop next to it in my office -- and i'll hear it 'shut off' on it's own, but i've been able to refire it back up again -- until last night.

so -- i've googled it to death, and the general consensus is.... dead PSU.

I have also noticed my 'boot up- really takes quite a bit of time now .... i've gone into msconfig and unchecked everything but 4
I've done my general maintenance cleaning up the 'junk'
i've blown the dust out of the tower....

Would a dying PSU make my boot up slow??

and granted, a new PSU is cheaper than a new computer.... but is this just a sinking ship?

what about the battery on the motherboard? is that the Cmos battery? [i've seen that term used in the threads i'm reading]

any input would be great.

Terese

This message was edited Mar 13, 2012 5:28 PM

This thread has 30 replies. This forum is accessible only to subscribing members of Dave's Garden. There are many free features here, and about half of our forums are completely open to all members. And learn more about Dave's Garden, and explore the benefits of becoming a subscribing member.

Want to join? Register here. Already signed up? Click here to login!