Birds Nesting & Activities in the Garden, vol. 7

Central, AL(Zone 7b)

Spring is right around the corner for us here in the South. And breeding season is under way for birds in and around our garden. Some local birds authority has reported that Doves were seen with eggs as early as Feb. this year. From my observation as a newbie; Cardinals, House Finches are seen doing their mating ritual by bringing their partners food while foraging. Blue Birds are visiting potential nesting site on a regular basic. I saw two male Blues fighting/competing over a bird house this morning. The White-breasted Nuthatches are quite capable of holding their own. One is seen bringing food 'home' while the other probably sitting on eggs? The Mallards pair that chose our garden as a home of their own last year has landed on the site for the 1st time this season. (pic. included). Chickadees also settled for their own nest box. The Wrens? I'm not very positive that they've settled down. Will add more pics. of new development as spring is coming.

We came from here; http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1236115/

Thumbnail by Lily_love
Central, AL(Zone 7b)

Blue Bird coming to a chosen nest box.

Thumbnail by Lily_love Thumbnail by Lily_love
Whiteside County, IL(Zone 5a)

Looks like spring is in "full bloom" there indeed! I got a kick out of two male cardinals fighting over a female today. She was not interested though, she just wanted to eat.

Central, AL(Zone 7b)

They're really amusing-- the cardinals' antics. I love them, for not only they're caring for their own, they seems to be looking out for others (juveniles and nests) in their teritory as well. Here I've a male Eastern Towhee just singing his heart out this morning.

Thumbnail by Lily_love
The Ozarks, MO(Zone 5b)

Nice Lily...our Towhee was singing yesterday also! Our Bluebird nestbox was busy yesterday so hoping for baby blues this year. We moved our Martin gourds to the new location and hoping for Martin babies too!!!

Central, AL(Zone 7b)

Best of luck with yours Rose. I took a walk around our neighborhood yesterday. Kinda spying on the neighbors' birds activities. lol. I was more discouraged when I saw this HOSP perching right beneath what seems to be a BBs above? I don't think the "landlords" do anything to discourage the invaders. I have seen Startlings on top of that same bird house before. The top entrance hole. Is that an escape route? I've seen Starling entered the house via that entrance in year past, didn't know much about birds species then.

Thumbnail by Lily_love
Central, AL(Zone 7b)

Once I've been reading up on how to safeguard Martins. I was wishing upon a star for some of these fancy gourd houses. They're quite expensive. But after seeing this ... I was none too happy. Kinda shattered my dream on hosting Martins. I think the HOSP successfully claimed this one community. Didn't see this until just now.

Thumbnail by Lily_love
Central, AL(Zone 7b)

More Martins houses in the neighborhood.

Thumbnail by Lily_love
Central, AL(Zone 7b)

Most every house surrounding us has BBs houses. And I can see BBs are very active near by. Also saw hummingbird's feeder-- from one of the neighbors are up. So, I am learning to adjust my expectation, and learn to accept the goods with the bad.

Thumbnail by Lily_love
Central, AL(Zone 7b)

Back home, I can foresee the bird houses will be simply decorative to enhance the view of the yard. We (hubby and I) will have to take these down and plug the entrances eventually.

Thumbnail by Lily_love
Central, AL(Zone 7b)

The good news is... Our Blues look very much at home;

Papa Blue is at the feeder, well on his way of "bringing home the bacon". lol

?Where is she???

Central, AL(Zone 7b)

At the mean time, moma Blue was on the secondary feeder. ^_^

well that's good, but I was hoping you would say that she was IN the house sitting on eggs

Central, AL(Zone 7b)

Not quite yet, when the time is right. lol Marna, the couple appear to be very cozy. So hopefully that will ensue very soon. I haven't seen them carrying nesting material inside. But he patiently stands guard when she enters the nest box. Though, I haven seen it, but does that mean she's building now? I do see Papa goes in/out of the nest box as well.

Central, AL(Zone 7b)

Papa Blue bird stands guard for his mate;

Central, AL(Zone 7b)

Not sure if he's bringing her food here????

Thumbnail by Lily_love
Central, AL(Zone 7b)

Papa Mallard came to the garden yesterday ... last year, not long after this similar situation, there soon after they were found nesting in one of my flower pots.

Second later Moma Mallard arrives;

While the male cardinal singing has begun. I have at least one pair, saw the male feeding the female!

Central, AL(Zone 7b)

Here they come Marna! I've to admit this is the busiest time of year. Has got to be my fav. time of year. Alabama Ricky is seen here, awaiting for Lucy to join him.

Central, AL(Zone 7b)

It was a welcoming sight! Moma Blue is finally seen busy building her nest!

Thumbnail by Lily_love

Oh how gorgeouse is that. Quite the beautiful bird and tree!!!

PERTH, Australia

Wow, Kim, that last shot is a cracker!

Central, AL(Zone 7b)

Thanks Marna and Margaret, those blooms belong to the dogwood. Margaret, do you have dogwood there where you are?

Central, AL(Zone 7b)

OT. Dogwood and Honeysuckles blooms;

Thumbnail by Lily_love
Central, AL(Zone 7b)

OT. Dogwood and Kwansan Cherry blossoms.

Thumbnail by Lily_love
Central, AL(Zone 7b)

Alabama Lucy ...

Alabama Ricky and Lucy ...

Guess Ricky went and fetch some goodies for Lucy. lol

Thumbnail by Lily_love Thumbnail by Lily_love Thumbnail by Lily_love
Central, AL(Zone 7b)

ooops, sorry for the duplicated pic. Here is the second photo.

Thumbnail by Lily_love
The Ozarks, MO(Zone 5b)

Wow Kim...I love that last photo of the Blue with the dogwood...so very pretty.

Our Blues have been building a nest this week and are now completing construction by lining the bowl with fine grasses. Hopefully will have eggs soon and some sunshine too!

Beautiful blooms Kim...you are so ahead of us here in the Ozarks. Adorable little Chickadees!

Thumbnail by dellrose
Central, AL(Zone 7b)

Rose, the weather down here is way ahead than most year. Seems as if all the trees leafed out over night. Love your Blue Bird. May I ask what are those strings on the nest box. Are those designed to deter pradators?

PERTH, Australia

Exciting times ahead, Rose.

Lovely little chickadees, Kim. I think some areas may have dogwood, but I don't recall ever seeing one around here and probably wouldn't know it if I did.

The Ozarks, MO(Zone 5b)

Hi Kim...Yes the strings are fishing line and are supposed to help keep the House Sparrows from hanging around the box. The theory is that since the House Sparrows have poor eyesight they won't see the strings when they land and hopefully scare them off. They didn't seem very effective last year but this year so far so good. Of course as soon as the first egg is laid I will attach the sparrow spooker and that has been very effective in the past.

The Ozarks, MO(Zone 5b)

Hi Margaret...We cross posted and yes exciting times ahead. When the eggs are laid and the first Hummer arrives I will be as happy as a clam!!

PERTH, Australia

Are clams really happy?

I just had a nuthatch come take some nesting material. But darn it, he flew south out of the yard with it. What's wrong with MY nest box. lol.

and here is the little devil. I tracked him to a tree two yards down, but did not see where he went in to a cavity. I did see one spot in the area. I'll have to investigate more.

Thumbnail by Mrs_Ed
Central, AL(Zone 7b)

Oh how sweet is that? I've never seen them carrying such soft material. What I have seen were; they bring in chunks of tree barks. lol. Ok my good friend be a detective, and please share with what you find.

Also, I uploaded, or rather I tried to upload 5 pics. earlier and typed a long response. DG rejected it. I must have been sensored or something. So I got discouraged, and logged off.

That's my dog's hair. I suspect it is the last "layer"!

But something is puzzling me. Doesn't this look like a male, because of the dark cap? Cornell says that the female builds the nest though. So… dunno.

Central, AL(Zone 7b)

I've a poster of various common birds...from Cornell I think. I still have problem telling the differences b/w the male/female with this Nuthatches. So ... dunno either. lol

Thumbnail by Lily_love
Central, AL(Zone 7b)

I assumed this is Papa bringing his mate food while she's incubating the eggs?

Thumbnail by Lily_love

You live in a paradise!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.