Moving a lilac - now or later?

Murfreesboro, TN(Zone 7a)

We have a lanky lilac (just a plain old S. vulgaris, as best I can tell) planted on the east side of our house - my guess it's been here for 3-4 years. (It was not planted by us :-)

It's just starting to leaf out. I have a great, open sunny spot picked out for it...can I move it now and still expect some blooms, or should I wait until fall to move it? (I don't know how well it will bloom regardless - it's poorly sited, to say the least.)

Transplanting tips and advice are welcome!

Dublin, CA(Zone 9a)

If you really want blooms I'd probably wait until fall--moving it now will probably make it focus on getting its roots re-established and it may not bloom well as a result. But if it's not likely to bloom well anyway then it probably doesn't matter!

Pepperell, MA(Zone 6a)

i would move it after it blooms and make sure it is watered well - they typically are a hardy plant - hopefully it will settle in and provide blooms next year - waiting until fall its energy may be used to re-establish itself and not bloom.

wha, thanks - that is probably what we'll do, since we didn't get it moved when I first posted this and our weather has already heated up significantly. Our neighbor's lilacs are in bloom, so mine can't be far behind. I'd like to get the enjoyment of the blossoms, and then move it. Its new home is in between our pond and a neighbor's (but high enough upland I'm not worried about soggy soil), so I think I can ensure it gets plenty of moisture as it settles in.

Pepperell, MA(Zone 6a)

you should have no problems with moving it as long as you can get as much root structure as possible - even if it get's ugly they are still very hardy

Scott County, KY(Zone 5b)

I would also vote to move it sooner rather than later. I'd add that you should make sure it is as TURGID (full o' fluids) as possible when digging it while in full leaf/full flower - like mine currently are.

Thanks, all - we'll be watering, digging and dropping as soon as the blooming is over :-)

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.