Trailer and an upright

(Zone 4b)

Last fall as a bit of an impulse buy I purchased this very tall, very deep planter a year end sale. I am now wondering what I had in mind those many months ago as I am not sure what to plant in it this coming spring/summer.

I think it needs something very trailing to soften the colour and size of the container...maybe a cascading nasturtium. But then what other upright plant to pair up with the trailer...hmmm.

What do you think?

Northeast, WA(Zone 5a)

You need to include a picture of it.

(Zone 4b)

Oops...that's embarrassing. I was sure I had.

Thumbnail by rouge21
Northeast, WA(Zone 5a)

Wow, that's a tall one alright. What is it made of? I think a small leaf, variegated, would look very pretty in it. Something with small lavender, pink, or white flowers. Then of course you need a tall, not real tall, dracena or something like it with some filler around it like some lobelias. Could even have some trailing lobelias along with the first one I suggested.

Oh well, glad it's yours to figure out. Post a picture when you get it planted.

Calgary, Canada

The previous suggestions are good.
Or you could go dramatic and just seed ornamental corn into it.

Northeast, WA(Zone 5a)

That would be cool too. That purple Majestic ornamental grass. Can't think of the rest of the name, but like CLScott said, corn.

(Arlene) Southold, NY(Zone 7a)

How's this? Taken on Cape Cod.

Thumbnail by pirl
Houston Heights, TX(Zone 9a)

That is stunning, Pirl. Looks like Coleus and two kinds ornamental sweet potatoe. I was going to suggest ornamental sweet potato for the trailer.

Northeast, WA(Zone 5a)

Good for both of you. Looks great Pirl. Boy, good suggestions you have to work with. Enjoy.

(Arlene) Southold, NY(Zone 7a)

Thanks. I save all container photos that I like. These two are from White Flower Farm.

Thumbnail by pirl Thumbnail by pirl
Brigham City, UT(Zone 5b)

Those are fabulous. I am getting some great ideas. I am going to try a trailing morning glory also. Is your planter in sun or shade?

Northeast, WA(Zone 5a)

There are a ton of trailing things. I love nasturtiums but like the morning glories, they take sun. Also there are Aserinas. Had one one year. Aren't they like snap dragons. But, so many. I think the sweet potatoes are the best. I had one in a 4 foot high planter one year and they draped to and all over the floor. And then a few coleus and a dracena for height. That would be a real good pot. Possibly a red dracena. They are real nice. The burgundies.

Somewhere in, MD(Zone 7b)

Jnette, would you consider tropicals for that container? I was thinking, for height, maybe something like a Mandevilla or Hibiscus tree, or even Lantana, (which would all need good sunlight), then maybe some wave Petunias to cascade around and down the container? (again, if you're going to have the container in the sun). Or, a combo of Naturtiums and Petunias?

Just another idea since I'm not sure how high you want your height. =)

Northeast, WA(Zone 5a)

LOL, it isn't my pot. It is rouge21's pot. They just haven't had a chance to jump in here. We all have been so quick to help. LOL Sorry, If it were mine tho Speediebean , I sure would. Jeanette

(Zone 4b)

Thanks as always for all your suggestions. Given the size of this planter my plan is to position it once in a sunny location. I think I will go with a good trailing nastertium on one side and a sweet potato vine on the other. I would like to have a colourful "Kong" coleus in the middle but can such a plant take a sun location?

Oh dear Jeanette, I'm so sorry! And Rouge21, I'm sorry too, was having a serious Polish moment last night when I typed that! < =/

Rouge, I'm sorry to say that the Kong Coleus doesn't really tolerate full sun, it really only likes morning sun, but thrives in shade the rest of the time. =( They are gorgeous though, huh? Alabama Sunset is a lovely sun-tolerant Coleus, how's about that one? =)

(Zone 4b)

No apology necessary speedlebean. I would like this coleus to be able to grow fairly tall and full in this to big planter. Will 'Alabama Sunset' do this?

Thank you! =) From my understanding (I've not grown them personally), the Alabama Sunset Coleus get about 2' x 2' (H and W). Is that the sort of height you're looking for? I'm sure we've got some members here who've grown it and can give you a better idea of it's dimensions, but I think I've got the average dimensions pretty close. :)

(Zone 4b)

2 feet high is just fine.

Wonderful! I would think that in your zone the full sun of summer won't be too harsh on it as well, so I'd guess that it should do really well for you! Keep us posted on how pretty your container grows through the season, I know **I** will want to see it! =)

Edmonton, AB(Zone 3a)

Rogue21 Have you thought about Silver dicondra falls (SP?) I have a black pot and that spills out like a waterfall and looks really impresive and will reach all the way to the ground by the end of the season.
Alberta Ann

(Zone 4b)

Quote from annabell52 :
Rogue21 Have you thought about Silver dicondra falls (SP?) I have a black pot and that spills out like a waterfall and looks really impresive and will reach all the way to the ground by the end of the season.
Alberta Ann

I had not but I will now. Thank you for the suggestion.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.