Question about Headline and rain!

Lufkin, TX(Zone 8b)

hello again!
i got in some Headline to spray for my rust problem. i mixed it with some sticker and sprayed yesterday. well, it wasnt supposed to start raining until late last night or today, but, about 6-7 hrs after i sprayed it started raining lightly. so, my question is, did the rain negate or lessen the Headline? or did it have enough time to do it's thing? and, how long does it normally take for the rust to dimminish? this chemical is soooo darn expensive, i cant afford to just respray, unless i have too! thanks

tracie

Thumbnail by aggiegrl
(Michele) Cantonment, FL(Zone 8b)

Did you get Headline or Heritage? I noticed in the other post you mentioned getting Heritage is why I ask. 6-7 hours is plenty of time for it not to be affected.

How much of the chemical did you buy? I'm not sure how many daylilies you have, but generally these products will last a homeowner a long time because you only mix a little bit with the water; Headline is 1/2 oz per 4 gallons, Heritage (this is the granular I believe) 1 tsp per 4 gallons. I use the Headline and I also have used the granular form of Headline which is Cabrio ( about $170 for 5 lbs) and it's 1 Tbs per 5 gallons. It will last me quite a few seasons. Some of the bigger southern hybridizers use Cabrio because the Heritage is known to kill frogs (the tree frogs I believe) from the oil in it. The Banner Maxx is used at 2 tsp per four gallons. I'm sure you know the ratios, but I was just pointing out that these should last you awhile.

There are so many varying opinions on rust it boggles the mind. I about went nuts when I first got it and was researching how to get rid of it. To much contradictory info because every garden is different and every climate is different. One chemial may work for one person and not another for whatever reason.
When will the rust begin to dimmish? The Headline and Heritage are both systemics so it works from the inside and has to travel inside the foliage to kill the infection. The contact (Daconil) fungicide would have pretty much killed the outside rust right away if used. I'm not sure how long it takes to see it go away just using a systemic after the rust pustules are present since I use a contact as well. Here in our high humidity areas we never see it go away completely. We have to spray preventively to keep it from showing up, but if we don't spray it will always be here. There are to many variables that dictate rust showing up; the right amount of moisture, temperature, neighbor down the road not spraying, wind, etc could make it show up at any given time. If there are any leftover spores lurking in your garden (in mulch or wherever) it can reinfect the daylilies.The thing with rust is it lives inside the green foliage of the daylily and there's just no way to know it was all gotten.Another thing is the fungicides are not curatives and if you didn't use a contact fungicide (Daconil for example) then the spores were more than likely not killed and can reinfect or infect the daylilies without rust. Each one of those rust pustules you see has probably thousands of rust spores so the chances of some sticking around is highly likely.

from this website http://world.std.com/~mhuben/rust.html
"The stage of greatest concern to us now, as daylily growers, is the stage that infects and reinfects daylilies through cloned spores called urediniospores. These can be spread by wind, splash, contact, and animal (or human) transport. When they arrive on a leaf, under the right conditions of temperature and humidity they will germinate and attempt to grow through a stomate to infect the interior tissues of the leaf. When enough growth has been achieved inside the leaf, and environmental conditions are right, the rust fungus produces pustules that burst through the surface of the leaf to release a new generation of cloned spores."

I have heard people say they sprayed once or twice and never saw it again. However, since you've said you've had it before then my guess is you will need to spray more. A good preventative measure would be to spray any new arrivals with fungicides in case any have it. I hope I didn't give you too much info you already knew

This message was edited Mar 9, 2012 5:42 AM

Madison, AL(Zone 7b)

Even if you did for Tracie, it is always great for those of us that did not know it. Thanks for a very comprehensive answer!

Halifax, MA(Zone 6a)

That was comprehensive. Very interesting, and I just have to say that I'm glad I don't have to deal with it here, although it is possible to get it for a season. The winter would kill it off, though, as I understand it. The downside of our winters is that it's just too darn long and cold for me (usually), but as you can see, there are upsides to it, as well.

Karen

Lufkin, TX(Zone 8b)

Thanks for the information! Yes, I am using headline. I keep getting the two mixed up! LOL. I did find online that it is supposed to be rainfast after one hour. Hopefully, that is accurate.

Tracie

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.