Black foliage varieties

Wilmington, NC(Zone 8a)

This was the first Dahlia to catch my eyes because of the way the hot pink pops off its dark purple leaves. It's Juliette. I also have a dark leaved variety that blooms like this in Yellow. Does anyone know what kind that one may be? I'll see if I have pictures when I get home. Also does any one know any tricks to getting the deepest foliage color possible?

http://www.plantdatabase.com.au/dahlia_juliette

Thumbnail by mccaine
(Arlene) Southold, NY(Zone 7a)

I'm guessing there many be many dark leaved dahlias with yellow blossoms.

There is no "trick" for getting the dark foliage - it's in the genes of the plant.

Wilmington, NC(Zone 8a)

Yes but my foliage starts black but greens out as the season progresses. So I want to know how other growers keep them black, whether it be nutrients, light, or what. I think my yellow is either bishop of York or knockout. I also have mystic dreamer. Anyone else have some interesting black beauties for me to try?

Sorry I couldn't been of more help to you.

I grew these with supposedly dark foliage, from seed, last year. You can see the normal green of typical dahlias to the right. They were all grown in full sun. I have no idea if full sun made them lighter or not. The photo was taken October 12th at nearly the end of the season.

Good luck with your searching.

Thumbnail by pirl
(Mary) Anchorage, AK(Zone 4b)

I have grown Bishop of York and Bishop of Aukland (deep red flower). They seem to maintain their dark color. I think I also had two others that were dark but much smaller.

Massapequa Park, NY(Zone 7a)

Bright sun will enhance the dark foliage. Today there are many low growing dahlias most originated by Aad Verwer including the Happy Singles, Happy Days,and Dark Angle series. In addition Melody Harmony and Gallery La Tour both of which are fully double dahlias. Here are some pictures in my garden.

Steve_D

Thumbnail by Steve_D Thumbnail by Steve_D Thumbnail by Steve_D
Wilmington, NC(Zone 8a)

Those are beautiful, Steve! What kind are they? I think I have the yellow one but the label just read "dahlia".

Massapequa Park, NY(Zone 7a)

The first picture is Taxi Driver from the "Dark Angle" series #2 Dracula from the same series #3 Melody Harmony from the Melody series. All are originated by Verwer Dahlias.
Steve

SOUTH HAMILTON, MA

Now that my dark leaf dahlias have all bloomed, I can recommend "Star Wars":

Thumbnail by Xaltd1

Very nice, Melissa. They are far nicer than the dark foliage ones I do have growing since I didn't dig them up last year but left them in the ground. Of course, they made it through the winter unharmed.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.