Elephant Ears - mammoth

Pearisburg, VA(Zone 7a)

I haven't grown these in many years. I decided to plant some of the monster bubs this year but when I got home I looked at my yard and there is nothing tropical about the yard. I'm posting here since they are annual to VA.

I know the yard doesn't need a tropical theme to plant these beautiful leaves - but do you have pictures of your elephant ears to give me an idea of how to work them into my landscape? For some reason I just really want to plant them this year.....changing it up again!

Kathy

Peoria, IL(Zone 5a)

You will find lots of EE photos in the Aroid forum.

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/f/aroids/all/

Silver Spring, MD(Zone 7a)

Ooh, another forum to follow!

And I just learned what "aroid" means. Thanks, franknjim!

Pearisburg, VA(Zone 7a)

what does it mean- I missed that

Peoria, IL(Zone 5a)

Aroid is a family of plants that includes EE's Alocasia & Colocasia, Caladiums, Philodendrons, Voodoo Lilies & more.

http://www.aroid.org/aroid/

Mount Pleasant, PA(Zone 6a)

I did elephant ears this year. Here's what my garden looked like yesterday. How did yours turn out?

Thumbnail by hartzell81
Pearisburg, VA(Zone 7a)

Here is my best container of EE for Aug 1 2012

These are amazing and I want to grow more for 2013
Kathy

Thumbnail by shihtzumom

Gorgeous! I wish I'd done mine inn containers. I'll have to dig them up for the winter instead of just pulling the pots in.

Brigham City, UT(Zone 5b)

I love the VERY LARGE leaves. I am going to have to find out how to overwinter everything.
This is the first year in many for the EE. They took a long time to come up, but they are getting big. Love them. The Caladium took quite a while also but are giving a nice showing now.

This message was edited Aug 19, 2012 9:20 PM

Thumbnail by MyRee Thumbnail by MyRee Thumbnail by MyRee Thumbnail by MyRee
Pearisburg, VA(Zone 7a)

I started the EE in pots when they first came to Walmart this year. Little water but they were in a west facing window and 2nd story bedroom where the door stays closed. They had warmth and lots of sun. That gave them a major head start on growing. The then planted them up when it was warm enought not to frost every night. I would bring them inside on older nights until May arrived and they were safe outside.

Kathy

I'm going to have to try that next year!

Brigham City, UT(Zone 5b)

Me too.

Stamford, CT(Zone 6b)

I like to keep aroids in containers as they need a lot more water than many other plants.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.