Cabbage Variety Question

Cleveland,GA/Atlanta, GA(Zone 7b)

Are there cabbage varieties that are not appropriate for Spring planting? Are there varieties more appropriate for Fall in our zones? I have a bunch of inherited seed and am not sure what the best choices are. I've started Copenhagen Early. Should I do Dutch Roundhead too? Flatheads? We had cabbages into July last year but some gardeners in north GA seem to have cabbage going all year. I'd love to extend the season. That said, I'm very disappointed that I've been unable to locate red cabbage seed this year. Red Acre has always been available from any seed rack, and did well in my garden, so I didn't order any seed.

Augusta, GA(Zone 8a)

Yes, the long season cabbages do not handle summer temps very well. Generally the short season varieties like the Wakefields, Point One, Golden Acre, Quickstart , Green Briar, etc are best for spring cabbage. Standard late cabbage for the south is the Flat Dutch, Drumheads,Mega ton, Ballheads etc. Transplant in August for late fall harvest. Red Acre is a long season cabbage(100 days) so most cabbages should be able to grow under the same conditions. There are some 70 day red cabbages like Ruby king.

Cleveland,GA/Atlanta, GA(Zone 7b)

This is so helpful. Thanks, Farmerdill.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.