Our Woodland Woodpecker - huge

Pearisburg, VA(Zone 7a)

This guy has been around a few times and he's huge! My poor little Redheaded Woodpeckers flip out and hide, as do my finches, etc. He is beautiful
Kathy

Thumbnail by shihtzumom Thumbnail by shihtzumom Thumbnail by shihtzumom
Cedar Rapids, IA(Zone 5a)

Wow! What a treat -- I've never seen one in real life -- Dax

Pearisburg, VA(Zone 7a)

Pileated Woodpecker is what they told me on another site - got to google this

Grand-Falls, NB(Zone 4a)

Neat birds to have at your feeder, congratulation. Not many people have had the previlege of them, showing up at their feeders. I did get one once in the Fall, He showed up, for a couple of weeks, then dissapeared. But what a treat it was, to see one.

Pearisburg, VA(Zone 7a)

The first day we saw him we were soooo amazed. Tried to get pictures but he was 'jumpy' and the least bit of noise ran him off. Today my husband managed to go out the back door and take pictures without him flying off.

After his first visit I put out 5 suet feeders verses 2. It is a thrill to see such a beautiful bird. It's been 2 weeks or so since his last visit and I hope he comes back soon. We live just on the edge of town and there are wooded lots beside us on one side and we're at the base of Angel's Rest - a large mountain that the Appalachian Trail crosses.

Grand-Falls, NB(Zone 4a)

From your discription of your area, looks like he may be a regular visitor, and since nesting season is upon you, you might get to see a couple soon. Nanny56 on the bird watching forum, lives in a similar Habitat for Pileated WP. They visit her place quite regularly. She says, they have old mature trees there, and they seem to prefer that kind of environment. Wishing you the best!

Pearisburg, VA(Zone 7a)

We sure hope to see him more often- soooo beautiful
Kathy

Putnam County, IN(Zone 5b)

Keep your feeders available and they are very like to find you again! It took awhile for ours to become regular visitors. We had a pair yesterday afternoon. This time of year they come almost daily and will until their young fledge. They are rather skittish but so much fun to watch!

Pearisburg, VA(Zone 7a)

The male is very skittish. The least sound of the door opening to take a picture makes him fly off. I don't even hear the door myself. I taped their call from National Geographic's website hoping to play it and he would come but I need to find out if the male and female's calls are the same....do you know? When are the babies ready to fledge?

Kathy

Here in my neck of the woods it is about June when they fledge, but might be sooner where you are. Not sure if the sexes make different calls. I can usually tell the female is coming in here because she is fussier then the male. She often makes a wukka, wukka sound a lot of times as she comes down the tree after landing! lol

It took almost a year for them to come regular here but so worth it...so be patient! They seem very good at sensing movement. I photograph them from inside but have to be very careful and move slowly. Hawks will prey on them too. Saw that almost happen last year here in our yard. The hawk just barely missed the pileated!

This is a mother & daughter pair taken last August. 3 pileateds in a tree across from our house. Pileated out at one of our suet feeders showing the wings.

Thumbnail by nanny_56 Thumbnail by nanny_56 Thumbnail by nanny_56
Pearisburg, VA(Zone 7a)

nanny,
great pictures! I love it. These are amazing birds and until you see them, you just have no idea of the size. Great picture of the wing spread - beautiful and fun birds. I sure hope I get to see the babies - and the female.

Kathy

I hope you do too...be sure to let us know...Good Luck!

Pearisburg, VA(Zone 7a)

I could hear him working away at a tree behind our lot - couldn't see him but sure could hear that very distinct sound.
Kathy

Cherry Grove, OH(Zone 6b)

Wow, I never could get a good picture of the one we have here. He is so skittish, he flies off at the slightest sound. They are huge, I agree.
He eats the suet but spends a lot of time on the "mixed seed" feeder we have. I didn't know they ate seeds.
I suppose if I figured out how to turn off the auto-focus, I could take a proper photo through the window glass. ;)

This is the best I could do, please pardon the glare from the window.

Thumbnail by SteveOh
Pearisburg, VA(Zone 7a)

They are amazing birds. I can't believe how large they are and I'm so thankful we had the opportunity to have this visitor. I haven't heard him in several weeks and haven't seen him - sure hope he "winston" comes back

Sidney, OH(Zone 6a)

A male pileated has been coming to our suet feeder 2-3 times a day for the past month. He's very interesting to watch as he swipes his bill against the side of the feeder to clean off bits of wayward suet. We've never seen a female. Since they mate for life, is it likely that the female is somewhere back in the woods? Do adults show fledglings where to go for 5-star dining (our feeder)?

It is my experience that the females are much shier than the males. We will only see the females a handful of times over the course of a year. Ours do bring the fledglings to our suet feeders.

Kathy, just keep putting the suet out. He found it once....so he may return at some point even if it is not until winter.

Pearisburg, VA(Zone 7a)

Thanks Nanny! I have a constant supply of various suet. I have been getting the no melt but it seems they are gone in a few days. I have multiple suet feeders out too so either rain is doing something to them or "Winston" is sneeking in at night!

Kathy

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.