Above ground pool landscaping

central, NJ(Zone 6b)

I posted this on the landscaping forum and received no replies also on the "other" site same thing...figured I'd give it shot at least someone will answer even if to say "I have no idea"

Hubby keeps saying we're getting a pool this year, so you know I like to plan these things out.

Anyone have an above ground pool and can share how they landscaped around it? tied it into a deck? etc....

Any help would be greatly appreciated...

Thumbnail by flowAjen
Pepperell, MA(Zone 6a)

jen in a previous life i had an above ground pool - a deck off the back of the house also attached to the pool and covered maybe a 3rd of the pool. around the rest of the pool were planted hardy iris i think they were siberian that could handle the occasional foot traffic.

not really a pool person - it had come with the house - it was nice to come back from running and just jump right in to cool off

Thomaston, CT

Sorry.....only had an inground.....nothing with thorns, though, or large leaves that can blow in.....

Lower Hudson Valley, NY(Zone 6b)

Next door neighbors have one. Deck connects to one long side. They landscaped the one short side closer to me. Forgot what is on the other side.

It is surrounded by some white stone.

Southwest , NH(Zone 5b)

Can't add anything, Jen, since I've never had a pool, but I'll bet you'll find it to be a fun project to prettify! Hey, by the way, has anyone heard from Dahlia lately? Be sure to show us what you do with it. What size and shape are you thinking of?

central, NJ(Zone 6b)

You talking D-Nut? she's on the "other" site

Oh yeah I def will post pics...I'm really not holding my breath this project going to get done, LOL

I would soooooo LOVE a HUGE oval one(I really wish we were doing an inground, but that will NEVER happen) hubby wants a smaller one, we'll have to compromise on the size

Neighbors have a large oval one. 15K gallons.

Lexington, MA(Zone 6a)

How about a tropical theme? Seriously, with proper winter cover, needle palms among others can survive the cold. But I do think if that's your current pool, it looks beautiful already. My only thought would be to add some terraces of different levels on one side, and hibiscus and other stuff in tall pots, with a patio area for chairs too. I don't have the experience to say what plants are particularly resistant to chlorine, hence the pots which can be moved around.

I tend to do that near my pool and the patio/pond area. Elephant ears, canna, etc.

central, NJ(Zone 6b)

Rosemary, that's not a pic of my yard. We never had a pool. I lived on a lake almost all my life, except for the 1st 3 years of marriage and at this house...I really miss being able to swim in my own backyard

Lexington, MA(Zone 6a)

How nice to have everyhting brand new. I am thinking about adding a water feature, but the project just grows and grows in my mind with addition of steps, terraces, a trellis and a shelter. There would be some JMs, crabapple and dwarf evergreens there. It's certainly not happening this year at our house, but it does mean I have one spot that isn't getting any plants for a change.

central, NJ(Zone 6b)

Landscape type guy coming tomorrow to give us ideas on deck and patio

Southwest , NH(Zone 5b)

Very exciting, Jen!

central, NJ(Zone 6b)

Guy never got to come out, his son had a cooking accident while cooking shrimp and ended up in the ER with 3rd degree burns on his hands...I need to talk with his sis and get the details

Salem Cnty, NJ(Zone 7b)

YOW!!! Praying he heals quickly.

Southwest , NH(Zone 5b)

Ditto Jan!

Thomaston, CT

What an awful accident!

central, NJ(Zone 6b)

Yeah, I spoke with my friend who is his Aunt, he was cooking shrimp and left the room, came back and the oil had caught fire but was already climbing the wall behind the stove and he put it out himself, didn't have a fire extinguisher, all he kept thinking was how he couldn't let the house burn down

Thomaston, CT

Hope his hands heal.....frightening experience.

central, NJ(Zone 6b)

Yeah I think I would have just run!

Scary. I have extinguishers everywhere.

Thomaston, CT

I have 2....one up & 1 down......would like to think I wouldn't be too shook to use them!

Yeah - I have never used one!

Salem Cnty, NJ(Zone 7b)

Me neither. I, too, wonder if I'd have enough wits about me to use it.

Southeastern, NH(Zone 5b)

Jen I have to put in my two cents here. That picture you posted must be a pool that is basically never used or only used by an adult. You have kids and your pool will be used and the water is going to go splashing over the sides onto anything you plant. Pool water causes plants to get "bleached" out and probably not just because it's pool water but because of the same reason it's a no no to water in the middle of the afternoon which is when your kids will most likely be splashing and frolicking away. :) So that is why I must say being a former above ground pool owner that the best thing to do is rocks. You also have to worry about things with tough root systems "rooting" into your liner which will rip very easy. So unfortunately the only way to have a cosmetically pleasing above ground pool is to build a deck around it and then it will be far enough away from your plants that you can plant what you want. Hope I helped.. : )

central, NJ(Zone 6b)

thanks Meredith

Good points. As I said, that is what my neighbors did. Deck and rocks. Plants further away.

Yup that's probably the best way. Jen maybe you could have some plants in pots that you could move. I love all the pots in the picture. I know I would probably be too lazy to move them. Or keep up with watering them. :( I am not a good container gardener.

Jen if anything will put up with the chlorine it would probably be miscanthus. Mine do well next to our pool even with all the cannon balls my husband likes to do! :) Not sure if the roots would be ok with a liner, I will ask dh when he gets home. He is a 'pool' guy.

Malvern, PA(Zone 6b)

My neighbors have a deck and have a rectangular pool above ground and made it a two tier deck, theirs is a wading pool and is only five feet deep. I've attached a picture I just took. They are having landscaping done this year but not sure what they are planting.

Malvern, PA(Zone 6b)

Oops couldn't attach picture with the iPad.

(Pam) Warren, CT(Zone 5b)

Try iCab for iPad, it's working for me. But I can only post 2 pics at a time. If I try for more nothing loads, just the text gets posted.

Pam

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.