CLOSED: Wanted info on where to purchased Million bells petunia seed

Western, WI(Zone 4a)

I have looked all over the net and all I see is companies wishing to sell plugs and I can purchase them here in Wi.
If I can't find the seeds will have to cut back on some of the hanging baskets, too expensive to fill 8.

Thanks, Maxine

Nyssa, OR(Zone 6a)

I think they are only propagated by cuttings and that you can't buy seed for calibrachoa (million bells). Its a patented and trade marked plant. I did read on another post that someone collected seed from their plant, but it only grew normal sized petunias. So, it looks like you are stuck with plugs...or maybe after this year you could grow your own cuttings from your plants for next year.

Western, WI(Zone 4a)

Thanks for the info, that is more than I knew before you posted.

Maxine

Kalama, WA(Zone 8b)

I've had my Million bells self sow before. But I've never been able to find the seed.
They didn't bloom true but gave me a mixture of interesting colors, but they still looked like Million bells. I don't believe they are a petunia at all. They've just been compared to the petunia.

Kalama, WA(Zone 8b)

I just found an interesting article about Million Bells. Looks like they produce very little seed if any at all. And it says they're a relative of Petunias.

http://www.missouribotanicalgarden.org/gardens-gardening/your-garden/plant-finder/plant-details/kc/a119/calibrachoa-group.aspx

Prosperity, SC(Zone 7b)

million bells , superbells, callibricoa when grown with wave petunias, and black velvet petunias will cross pollenate. Mine from last year in a hb of pink superbells, black velvet, and white wave. Created a drk, grape velvety looking mini flower( not sure what to all them now they hypridized), a large pink flowering (just like the pink superbell) and mini blacks and muddled and chartreuse colored creatures have emerged from a small scattering of seed I couldn't help myself but to plant last September after I dried the seeds.

I am putting down the rest of those seed in two weeks, to plant out into my beds. :O)

They were awesome
I have some documentation at my Facebook Business page EarthSource Services

Sierra Foothills, CA(Zone 8a)

Buffy ~ Do you have any pictures of those lovely flowers you would like to post?

Prosperity, SC(Zone 7b)

This is the mini/callie that was produced, I posted the parents a while back I will have to look in my past threads and post the link for those

Thumbnail by BUFFY690
Sierra Foothills, CA(Zone 8a)

How interesting!

Western, WI(Zone 4a)

Buffy, those are lovely!

Maxine

Sundance, WY(Zone 3b)

Wow! Fascinating Buffy! Thanks for sharing! I wish mine would do that sometime, as I would love to see the different crosses that would show up! Very cool!

Prosperity, SC(Zone 7b)

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1174983/

This is the thread where I had posted the parent baskets
I had completely forgotten that I had moved some Priscilla petunias into them at the end of the season, I wonder if any of the seed will turn out to be doubled...:O)
I an't wait to grow the rest of these babies out :O)

These are a few of the colors that came out (I had to find the rest of the pics)
There were rose misty as well as a peachy misty color. All seem to have the whiskers in the throat
The pink one has X-Large flowers
They are all very, very fragrant

Thumbnail by BUFFY690 Thumbnail by BUFFY690 Thumbnail by BUFFY690

Post a Reply to this Thread

You must log in and subscribe to Dave's Garden to post in this thread.