Why do you garden, despite physical challenges?

Milton, MA(Zone 6a)

Nancy,

Being naturally a funny person is surely a good thing! I'm with the birds on this one--we eat bean sprouts but not vines, right?

Carrie

SE/Gulf Coast Plains, AL(Zone 8b)

Deer are our biggest nemesis. People say they won’t eat tomatoes or come too close to the house, but you couldn’t prove it by me. Tomatoes growing on a trellis against the house had bites taken out of them last year. It wouldn’t bother me so much if they took one or two and left, but they took a sample bite out of almost every fruit. lol. We talk about giving up our dogs because they can be such a garden nuisance, but I don’t think we could have a garden at all without them. (Jim)

Waynesboro, PA(Zone 6a)

Once again, everybody, thank you so much! I am starting up again on updating my book so I'll be in touch with everyone who was so kind to give me their input. My husband had aortic/valve replacement surgery in late 2010 and everything got put on hold for that and it's only recently I've been able to turn back to writing. Thank you all again! Annie

Milton, MA(Zone 6a)

Oh, Annie, winter sowing is also a great way to "garden" from indoors in the winter! Have you visited the Winter Sowing Forum? Laziest, most efficient bunch of gardeners I ever met.

Madras, OR

Deer are a problem here, I live in the migration routes summer to mountain grazing and winter to high desert so we have large numbers coming through in addition to a resident herd of about 10 or 12. I put up a 6' critter fence around the whole half acre garden, plus a two foot hotwire above that. But in one small area adjacent to a loafing shed between the garden area and the back yard, I had a 5' pet fence so added a 4' hot wire above that. But the deer from the resident herd were jumping thru the hot wire in that one small area. (10 feet long area). So I covered the first strand of hotwire at 5.5 foot high, with aluminum foil. Then I slathered that with peanut butter. according to the tracks in the snow only one deer got into it, but we have never had another breach. Maybe they talk about it but they sure quite coming. It was just standard electric fencing, so it hurt but did not harm.

Milton, MA(Zone 6a)

Hahaha "maybe they talk about it!!" Did it again, got me chuckling.

SE/Gulf Coast Plains, AL(Zone 8b)

It must be a very tasty garden, if the deer want in that bad. lol. (Jim)

Thibodaux, LA(Zone 9a)

I like Van's Gogh quote "If you truly love nature, you would find beauty everywhere". That's why I chose my screen name as VanGarden. I love making an unused land beautiful with flowers and paths. My disability is deafness. I feel like the toys on misfit island in the Rudolph story. I don't seem to fit in the hearing world.
I can sense people's frustration trying to communicate orally with me. This causes me to become timid and depress. Gardening keeps me company and fit. I love making things beautiful. I love the peace surrounding a beautiful garden. It brings me Joy. A garden is a classroom. There is a spiritual connection in a garden. Healing & Wisdom reigns in a garden. That's why I garden despite the toils it takes to create a garden.

This message was edited Apr 30, 2013 4:13 PM

This message was edited Apr 30, 2013 4:15 PM

Milton, MA(Zone 6a)

I love that movie!!!! When I watched it as an older kid (temporarily able bodied) I thought it was weird. (The dentist, the Rudolph Family etc) Watching it as a mom in a wheelchair, I totally loved it. OK it's a little round-about and rambling, but we all are misfit toys, aren't we?

Thibodaux, LA(Zone 9a)

Yes we are. What's so great about misfits is that they have great compassion; a gift needed in today's world.
They are underdogs with bright ideas and creativity... LOL

Milton, MA(Zone 6a)

I like it!

Prescott, AZ(Zone 7b)

I can't afford therapy.

Winston Salem, NC(Zone 7a)

If you are 50+ years old you can jpin AARP. one of their greatest benefits is a Silver Sneakers FREE membership at all YWCAs. you could do mild pool walking and build up your strength and stamina slowly. Please check it out

Milton, MA(Zone 6a)

I've never heard of that--would be great. I'm going to look into it. Thanks, BB!

Winston Salem, NC(Zone 7a)

Yes, AARP picks up as a secondary after Medicare (for MONTHLYfee). Joining only costs $50 (1 time), so if you don't need the insurance benefits there are plenty of other great benefits.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.