What is your best growing daylily (hardiest) ?

Marshalltown, IA(Zone 5a)

This is my second year for my daylily garden....I planted some last year and fell in love......o.k.....addicted! LOL.

I want to plant more this spring (of course) and I was wondering what daylily was the most successful for you...

Easiest to grow....best bloomer...fastest clumper.....longest bloomer.

I love them all! Last year I planted Orange velvet, Primal Scream, dug up a Wisest of Wizards and replanted it, someone gave me a root of Going Bananas, Siloam Double Classic, Autumn Minuret and Red Ribbons, Buttered Popcorn (bloomed great)...and Comment Pattern.

Oh, and I am in zone 5....

Let's hear about the great ones....!

Melvindale, MI(Zone 5a)

I was going to say Primal Scream but I see you already got that one. Big Smile is a good one as is Spacecoast Starburst, Darla Anita, Mask of Eternity and Northwind Dancer.

Hazel Crest, IL(Zone 5a)

Mine are not that old but, these come to mind. Woodside Ruby, Strutter's Ball, Gordon Biggs, Crimson Pirate, Pandora's box, Strawberry Candy, Mardi Gras Parade, Custard Candy, Janice Brown, Siloam Double Classic and Prairie Wildfire.

Hazel Crest, IL(Zone 5a)

Add Apricot Sparkle to this list. Everbloomer and fast increase. On And On saw it's first spring/summer here last year and it was a blooming fool. Dug one of two small clump up last fall and divided it in two and planted it in the new front bed for some long bloom this season. I am sooooo excited!!

Kalama, WA(Zone 8b)

Well, being in a warmer climate, my recommendations could differ in your zone. But I grow a few that I know that they do well in colder zones too.

Pretty much any of the Chicago series. I grow Chicago Apache, CHICAGO BLACKOUT, CHICAGO RUBY and CHICAGO STAR and all do very well here in all the areas you listed. Plus, everyone of them gave me blooms the first year planted, got better and better with each year and have never failed to bloom for a season as some other plants have.

Thanks everyone for your great suggestions!

If you think of any more.....post away!

springfield area, MO(Zone 5b)

Mardi Gras Parade and Crimson Pirate do awesome for me.
Also, Mary Todd is a heavy bloomer.
South Seas is a great bloomer and has bright color
Cleo
Purple Magic
Spiderman
Siloam Ury Winniford
Sunday Gloves is a nice white one that reblooms for me

Melvindale, MI(Zone 5a)

I agree on Spiderman. Makes an awesome clump.

I think Spiderman is my best Red, I have had lots of reds too... but it is a heavy bloomer and a fast increaser

south central, WI(Zone 5a)

Adding..Wayside Painted Lady, Alpine Rapsody, Smoky Mountain Bell, Pink Lavender Appeal, Siloam Fine Art, Atlanta Moonlight, Mateus, Raspberry Candy, Magic Quest

Lafayette, IN(Zone 5a)

Barbara Mitchell, Mystical Rainbow, Double Old Ivory, and Mauna Loa does very well for me.

Mauna Loa did great for me too, but I do think the color is almost exactly like Primal Scream. Mauna Loa got taller for me though. Pink Fireworks bloomed heavy for me too.

Madison, AL(Zone 7b)

One I like is Spacecoast Small Talk. I planted 5 fans in 2009 and this is what it looked like last year. Photos from several days to give you an idea..

Spacecoast Small Talk 6-5-11
Spacecoast Small Talk 6-10-11
Spacecoast Small Talk 6-10-11

Thumbnail by DitchLily206 Thumbnail by DitchLily206 Thumbnail by DitchLily206
Madison, AL(Zone 7b)

Wild Horses is a good one as well.

I have it in two different beds from two different suppliers.

Wild Horses 5-28 back bed from Lowes or Home Depot
Wild Horses FR 6-6 front bed from Keith Miner,
Wild Horses FR 6-15 different day

Thumbnail by DitchLily206 Thumbnail by DitchLily206 Thumbnail by DitchLily206

Do you notice any difference in the performance of them since they came from different places? I think my Wild Horses came from Lowes also if I remember right. It is a good increaser and blooms heavy for me.

Hazel Crest, IL(Zone 5a)

Mauna Loa is Primal Scream pollent parent. Got WH last spring on the LA. Hoping for nice things this spring.

Melvindale, MI(Zone 5a)

Another all around good grower that does well in all climates is Trahlyta.

Madison, AL(Zone 7b)

I have only had the one from Keith a year, so it is too soon to tell about performance. The one from the big-box store has grown great.

Hazel Crest, IL(Zone 5a)

I also got Trahlyta last spring from Blueridge. Hoping for blooms this season.

Franklin, WI(Zone 5a)

Jim's Pick is really nice, one of my first daylilies. Etched Eyes never disappoints, Double Pom Pom multiples quickly. Double Me makes a nice clump too. Malaysian Monarch is sturdy. I'm in zone 5, you can probably find my pictures of these at the DG plant database.

Melvindale, MI(Zone 5a)

I'll second that info on Double Pom Pom. That one is quite a multiplier.

Nilwood, IL(Zone 5b)

I have so many but the thicker the flower the better it stays, so I love Victorian Lace and American Freedom. BEV

Thumbnail by dragonfly62 Thumbnail by dragonfly62
Melvindale, MI(Zone 5a)

Boy, I wish my American Freedom looked as good as yours. Mine is extremely slow growing and only one flower blooms at a time.

Nilwood, IL(Zone 5b)

This was last yr and it was 2 yrs in the garden but it doesn't spread very fast here either. It shows different in different light like a lot of them do.

Thumbnail by dragonfly62
Franklin, WI(Zone 5a)

Here's the Double Pom Pom (Pon) - I've seen it spelled both ways. It's in the foreground, I am going to have to divide it this year as it is taking up a good amount of garden space

Then there's Jim's Pick, always love it. Etched eyes, Double Me and Malaysian Monarch

Thumbnail by Seedsower Thumbnail by Seedsower Thumbnail by Seedsower Thumbnail by Seedsower Thumbnail by Seedsower
Kalama, WA(Zone 8b)

Double pom pon and Jim's pick have been good growers here too!

Melvindale, MI(Zone 5a)

Double Me is a nice looking double.

Halifax, MA(Zone 6a)

I bought WILD HORSES last year, so looking forward to seeing good thing from that one this year. Some good daylilies for me are as follows:

RED VOLUNTEER
MAGIC MAMA
MARY TODD
BUTTERED POPCORN
AUTUMN MINARET
QUICK RESULTS
GREY WITCH
ROCKET BOOSTER
JOCELYN'S ODDITY
CISTY
STARMAN'S QUEST
ROCKET CITY
FOOLED ME
CANYON LANDS
BONEY MARONEY

I'm sure there are others I'm not thinking of. I have so many.

Karen

I just started daylilies last year.....I ' m a real newbie.....I do have Buttered Popcorn, that was one of my first planted last spring, and it is a blooming machine! My garden is a ways from my deck and with it's outstanding yellow, it was a standout, and increaser!

I love the Wild Horses color and I am bidding at the LA on Spiderman and Chicago Apache, so we will see how that turns out.....I am obsessed with daylilies....they are awesome!

I love all the suggestions! I knew I could depend on you all!! Thanks!

Halifax, MA(Zone 6a)

I can totally relate to your obsession! I've been obsessed for about 10 years now. I got it from my mother. Before she died, though, I could not understand her obsession. I did not live close to her, all the way across the country, though we talked on the phone a lot and corresponded by mail. Anyhow, it wasn't until I inherited her collection of around 600 registered cultivars, as well as many seedlings, that I got bitten by the daylily bug. I've been hooked ever since.

Karen

Wow......600 cultivers! And I thought I was bad! You sure are a go-to gal about questions.

Thanks for your suggestions!

Halifax, MA(Zone 6a)

You're welcome. I have about 1000 cultivars now, not counting my late mother's mature, unregistered seedlings.

Karen

Baltimore, OH(Zone 6a)

I bought Eleanor Roosevelt last spring - it has increased from 2 small fans to 5 husky fans. I look forward to see the blooms. BTW - we had a very mild winter so everything survived. The buddleia (butterfly bush) are green all the way up the stems. Normally I am cutting off a lot of dead stems this time of year.

Baltimore, OH(Zone 6a)

Quote from hemlady :
Boy, I wish my American Freedom looked as good as yours. Mine is extremely slow growing and only one flower blooms at a time.

I wish my American Freedom looked as good as I expected. Seldom more than one flower on a scape. Maybe this year with the mild winter. I increases moderately.

This message was edited Mar 23, 2012 2:00 PM

Greenville, SC(Zone 7a)

Got to agree with what was posted above, Trahylata is a good performer/bloomer/spreader!

Thumbnail by IRIS
Warners, NY

Have always wanted Trahlyta--would like to introduce her carnally to Orchid Corsage and get some little plants. Did manage to get some seeds from Wild Horses and this seedling. I am afraid the seeds are going to be difficult to start as they are probably tet and are huge seeds and I haven't even stratified them yet.

Thumbnail by weedyseedy
Halifax, MA(Zone 6a)

That's a gorgeous, velvety, black red weedy!

Karen

Greenville, SC(Zone 7a)

Yes it is, Very pretty!!

Warners, NY

But what will the kids look like?! And with Ed Murray for a grandfather? A long not seen cousin sent me a picture of my grandfather and my wife said "He looks like a wolf!"---------------------------------------------------------------------------Weedy

Logan Lake, BC(Zone 3a)

Hahaha! That's funny Weedy! :=D

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.