Flowering in March 2012

West of Brisbane, Australia

Here is the first of my Hedychium flavum seedlings to flower (20 months to flower from seed). Inferior (and smaller--both blooms and size of canes) to the known parent and barely scented, although the scent might strengthen over time as the plant gets established. Interesting though.

This message was edited Mar 2, 2012 10:12 AM

Thumbnail by cestrum_SEQ

There's quite a size difference between the blooms from these two abutilons from Bunnings, although the plants are both the same size (small so far).

Thumbnail by cestrum_SEQ
Merino, Australia

Very pretty cestrum. My little ones are still flowering.
The old ones in the garden will be cut right back this year.
Jean.

Clifton Springs, Australia

Don't they look pretty together....

Almost as nice as my watermelon......lol

Thumbnail by Seachanger

But mine don't taste as good !
I grew watermelons four or five years ago, when there was no canopy and a lot (too much!) direct sun. It was really hard to tell when they were ripe--knocking on them, checking that the stem had started to wither. More than once I left them on the vine too long so that by the time I harvested and cut them open, they had started going soft inside. What a waste of months of (bucket) watering!
So, congrats on a job well done. Bon appetit :-)

Clifton Springs, Australia

Thanks cestrum, perhaps because these are minis, the sound when you tapped them was unmistakeable...a really hollow sound....so there wasn't a problem in knowing when to harvest.
I wasn't sure about the stem, it hadn't altered....so I went by the sound.
They are surprisingly sweet....

The salmon hedychium is flowering again. The cane is close to 4m tall--a giant!--because it has to grow thru the canopy on my old clothesline, so it would probably be about half that height in a sunnier spot. It's not as strongly fragrant as my white and yellow gingers but it wafts beautifully when cut and brought inside the house.
Meanwhile, the pink hedychium is setting seeds. I did harvest seeds from it last year but didn't get around to sowing them.
The Bunnings yellow abutilon is very fertile--it just keeps on setting seedpods. Jean, if you never see seedpods on your abutilons it's probably because they set, mature and then drop off so quickly, in a matter of weeks.

Thumbnail by cestrum_SEQ Thumbnail by cestrum_SEQ Thumbnail by cestrum_SEQ

Judy's unscented single yellow oleander is flowering well.

Thumbnail by cestrum_SEQ

Two cestrums--nocturnum and diurnum.

Thumbnail by cestrum_SEQ

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.