Help !!! My Blue Point Juniper is still turning brown!

Port Charlotte, FL

Can anyone help me? My two Blue Point Juniper's needles and some of its branches are still turning brown. I thought that they may have had a fungal disease and treated them twice for any possible fungus that they might have.
But still the needles - and smaller branches both on the inside of the trees and some of the outer ones are still browning and dying off. I cannot figure out what to do and I do not want to lose them!!!! I do not see any sign of other bugs or anything either. I have applied an insecticidal soap spray also to them. Most recently I fed them and gave them a top dressing of acid for acid loving plants.

Thanks!!!

Santa Ana, CA(Zone 10b)

Have you checked the trunk at soil level? Sometimes lawn sprinklers can cause rot at the soil level, as can mulch if too close to the trunk.

Port Charlotte, FL

No actually I have not. Thanks! I will look at that- I have just recently taken the mulch away that is around the base of the trunk because it seems to stay wet and damp too much- any time there is water or I run my sprinklers.

Thumbnail by max9415 Thumbnail by max9415 Thumbnail by max9415
Santa Ana, CA(Zone 10b)

That could very well be your problem. Try pulling the soil away and check for rot on the trunk. I don't know if there is a cure for that, but if I were to see signs of rot, I would dust it with cinnamon and let it dry for a while. Also adjust your sprinklers.

Port Charlotte, FL

Wow! Cinnamon eh? Does that dry out the trunk or the soil?
I am just sitting here wondering what the cinnamon does? Where do I apply it specifically? Directly around the base of the trunk or out closer to the drip line?

Thanks again!

Santa Ana, CA(Zone 10b)

Cinnamon is a natural anti fungal/ antibiotic. Those of us that grow orchids use it on any cuts we make when dividing our plants. It also discourages some bugs. If you find any rot/fungus, cut it away and sprinkle the cinnamon on the cut area, then let it dry out. There many other chemical choices for fungus treatment, but if you want cheap and easy (and you don't need to read the whole label), we all have some cinnamon in the house. According to some medical studies, it also helps Rhuematoid Arthrites, so I buy the BIG containers. LOL!

Burien, WA(Zone 7b)

How are you watering the plants? Are they getting overspray from lawn sprinklers?

Port Charlotte, FL

Ah I see! I will try cinnamon - it can't hurt that is for sure! Thanks so much OCCAROL!!!!! I will try what you said. That is a wonderful tip- I am also big into organic gardening!!

HydroPinke- I usually only water once a week - and usually I run my sprinklers so they do get quite a soaking- I know the branches do not like water but I can't avoid it when I water. Otherwise, if I water by hand (with the hose) I never water the branches. And also where I am (zone 9B Florida) unfortunately it tends to get very dry for long periods or during the rainy season it stays very wet for periods. So I am wondering if the drought/ dry spells or excessive rains we had this past year didn't hurt it. But can I ask -how often should I water them normally?

Burien, WA(Zone 7b)

Its impossible to say how often to water unfortunately. It depends on your soil, the weather and each plant, but in general its better to go low and slow for a thorough watering less often than frequent shallow watering. Whenever I am unsure, I check the soil after what I consider a thorough watering and see what I've actually done, then adjust accordingly. How long do you run your sprinklers? once a week, correct?

Also, if they are continually getting spray from sprinklers, a fungal problem could persist even though you've treated the plant for it. Or if you water late in the day, that can encourage fungus and mildew if you have cool and/or humid nights.
It could be any of these things, a combination of them, it just sounds like the plants are not happy and stressed. I do remember on the previous thread about these that trackinsand stated that junipers had a rough time in that area.

Port Charlotte, FL

Yes, I run my sprinklers once a week usually only . And I do water at night here so there could be the problem of humid nights - as is pretty common here. I just wish I could figure out what it is. I know Florida is a tough place to grow most things.
I guess I should maybe do another fungus treatment and hope for the best. Otherwise I fear I will lose my lovely junipers.
Thanks for the input and advice - if anything else comes to mind please post for me!

Thanks again!

Dublin, CA(Zone 9a)

Can you water in the morning? I don't know if that's what caused this particular problem, but in humid climates it is definitely better to water in the morning vs the evening so that would be a good change to make regardless.

Somewhere in, MD(Zone 7b)

I'm wondering if there is any way at all you could set up a different watering system for just the Junipers, like maybe a weeper or soaker hose? The branches surely don't like to get wet, and watering in the evenings might be making them even more unhappy. The soil might also need some amendment, if it's retaining too much water. Believe it or not, they might actually be getting too much water. =/
How old are the plants?

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.