Poorly planted Clem

Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

I need to know if I did the right thing. Its done do probably a short answer would do.
Here's the story.
I hired someone to help in the garden. He was recomended by a new neighbor who said she was a gardener. James helps her.
I assumed he could put plants in the ground as well as do labor,clean up etc.
I had 5 clems to plant. I just knew the extra deep holes would be more than I could handle. He said he could do it.
I went on to other things and when I checked his work on 3 of the plants they were not well done.
2 had 2 inches of roots showing above the ground. This was last summer.I didnt take the time to replant but mounded dirt around the plant.
Checking just now I see mooocho sprouts in the soil ,it seems to be OK.
I was just checking now in another part of the garden where he had planted 2 more. Sure enough above the crown there is leaf bud showing on the stem, and below the crown there are roots showing.
I blasted into the garage and transplanted this clem into a deeper hole. Good thing we have had some thawing.
Question: Will this clem be O K transplanted so early? There is plenty of compost in with it. It has some new roots. It was a newbie last year.

Williamstown, NJ(Zone 6b)

I think it will be ok, Since we had an easy winter, the roots are still alive and and growing like you say . So planting it farther down should be fine.

Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

Its a favorite of mine and new. Isago

Thumbnail by ge1836

I know how you feel. I have a couple that I bought last year and did not do anything, I hope they come back this year. Also when we had some trees taken down, the tree men ripped out my trellis, (2 of them) which had Clems running up them, So I am hoping they make it this year after being almost ripped out of the grown last fall.

Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

Gawd why dont the tree people get a short course in plants.

I know, and Hubby was here too, Knowing him (DUH) he probably said , oh go ahead and take them out, it will be ok...lol

(Arlene) Southold, NY(Zone 7a)

Jo Ann - you have not hurt the clem's by digging and transplanting at this time. It's likely the very best time of year to get that job done.

Marie - I had a similar experience after hurricane Irene when the tree guys "just had to move a trellis (cast iron scrollwork) to get the tree stump leveled". I was near panic and kept explaining the clematises were growing but they seemed to think if they moved it slowly it wouldn't rip the clem's. Be still my heart! We'll see how they do this year.

Thumbnail by pirl
Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

Thanks Pirl I will give thought to transplanting the other 2.

We can only hope that them ripping it out will make the roots work harder and give us a nice show with plenty of new growth. I keep looking and crossing my fingers.

Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

These plants were newbies and the one I dug had some new roots.I am hopefull.

It's a great time to move them and add compost and manure (along with bone meal at the bottom of the hole for the roots) so replant, amend the soil and don't forget a big drink of water for them. Then add 3 to 4" of your favorite mulch.

Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

Its blowing like crazy here 70 mph gusts. It will have to wait for another day.
DD and I will watch the entire second season of Downton Abby.

It's no fun trying to work against nature so waiting is a better idea.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.