Canna I got in a trade...Any idea?

Titusville, FL(Zone 9b)

I got canna tubers in a trade, she didn't know what the name of it was.
It has really purple leaves and is now just coming up.
I know I am asking a huge favor here, but does anyone have a clue
what the name of this is...she says it gets 6-8 foot tall and has purple flowers?
If you need a different photo let me know I'll see what I can do with my limited photo taking abilities

Thumbnail by FlaFlower
Orlando, FL(Zone 9b)

there are A LOT of possible canna varieties - it could be Australia maybe Wyoming, maybe Pink Sunburst. it's hard to tell without a full grown flowering plant. there really isn't a true "purple" flowered canna. but the reds and pinks can be in the same spectrum.

Titusville, FL(Zone 9b)

Ok, then let me see if the person I traded with by chance has a photo of the flower.
That would help with the mystery...Thanks!

Orlando, FL(Zone 9b)

you're welcome, i love growing surprises. i'm excited to see how it turns out. reminds me i need to buy some new cannas this year.

Titusville, FL(Zone 9b)

She says she has a pic but she is sick and it might be a few days...we will see.
You'll know when I know, till then wait.

McKinney, TX(Zone 8a)

More than likely it is this variety - a common one, and "edible." See DG article below. They are fast growers in wet conditions - started with one 2-3 years ago, and I dug and separated a mountain of them recently, giving two large bags away, and still had over thirty pounds of tubers left. mine will reach 7-10 feet easily and blooms are bright orange flowers.

Canna edulis/indica 'Red Stripe'

http://davesgarden.com/guides/articles/view/2686/

Titusville, FL(Zone 9b)

Chuck7701...that was a fantastic article thanks for the effort in finding it for me!
Maybe I will take this and forward it to the person I traded with and see if she feels any of those photo in the article match her flowers. Thanks again :-))

McKinney, TX(Zone 8a)

I'm no expert, but from what small experience growing cannas, other than the hybridized versions like Topicana and some of the dwarfs, most of the maroon/red leaf cannas will be the taller Red Strip variety. The majority are green leaf version.

Titusville, FL(Zone 9b)

The person i traded with seems to think it is Russian red? She isn't sure though, not much help on the "I'm not sure" part.

McKinney, TX(Zone 8a)

There seems to be little difference between the Red Strip and Russian Red on this website.

Note that the Russian Red is Very Tall, but similar note on the red stripe.
http://www.karcheskycanna.com/

Titusville, FL(Zone 9b)

Oh good golly I didn't have a clue there were so many types of cannas.
If I get to looking at too many I might just have to start a new SUB addiction catagory.
Not a good thing in my case...cannas like lots of room...hummm the house next door is for sale...LOL
Thanks for the INFO and the effort of coarse!!! Patti

Sundance, WY(Zone 3b)

Oh, reminds me also I need to get some cannas this year. Mine froze last year, and my hummers will be lost without them! They love them here!

Titusville, FL(Zone 9b)

Try Ebay...I looked under cannas and there are many available to tempt your hummers with

Sundance, WY(Zone 3b)

Thanks Florida! Will do!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.