Cymbidium transplant question from beginner

Emerald Hills, CA(Zone 9b)

I went to the Pacific Orchid Exposition, last weekend, and left with a cymbidium division. I've been researching dividing & transplanting cymbidiums, as I've had one for about 5 years that I've never divided, (it blooms every year & I didn't want to push my luck) - I plan to divide it into 3 plants.

But back to the orchid from POE. I went to plant it yesterday & there's no bulb, only roots. My research had suggested covering 1/4 to 1/2 half of the bulb with medium.... but what about this roots only division? I planted it yesterday & covered about 2/3 of the roots, but can "fix" it this weekend, if I know what I should do. Also, I just read some advice here to use bark only, so I guess I need to re-do it anyway. I'd picked up some (Miracle Gold, I think) orchid mix, which isn't bark & mixed it with bark, perlite & peat - sounds like I'm overdoing the "fines" (hope I'm using the term properly)?

Any advice for this newbie is appreciated!

TIA,

Liz

Sarasota, FL(Zone 9b)

Liz, I'm kind of new at Cymbidiums, too but have been reading a lot and questioning growers. I have 3 fairly new ones that are potted in chunky coco pieces and bark that drains very fast. I'd definitely re-do your potting using only bark mix so they won't stay wet. I'd cover all the roots with your chunky medium, though.

If they behave like other bulbous plants, your cym division with only roots and leaves will make a bulb by the end of the year if you keep the leaves growing well.

Mine are all sitting with their bulbs on top of the medium and roots down in the pot. Take a look at your 5-yr. old one and I'd bet it's doing the same.

Thumbnail by dyzzypyxxy
Santa Ana, CA(Zone 10b)

Every division should have a minimum of three healthy pbs, if you want to see blooms in your lifetime. Cyms like to be crowded! They should be repotted every two or three years because the medium breaks down, but only allow enough room for two years growth. If the plant hasn't out grown it's pot, you can just trim off the dead roots and put it back in the same pot with new bark. The tall skinny pots work very well for them, if they are protected from the wind. My smallest one gets blown over because they are top heavy. Thats why I prefere clay pots, but the clay pots get heavy when they are the 10" size, and I do raise them off the ground because they don't have all the drainage holes the plastic pot have. The two that I have had for 30 and 50 years have always been potted in bark, from large (hard to find), medium, to small orchid bark mix and thrive in all of them.
Hope this helps.
Carol

Thanks dyzzypyxxy! That's exactly the info. I'm looking for. Yes, I have lots of bulbs sitting showing. It seems very happy, but I do want more plants & it's certainly been longer enough that it's overdo for re-potting.

OCCAROL, what's a "pbs" - remember I'm an orchid newbie. :-) I think the orchids outgrown its pot & it's certainly top heavy & blows over constantly.... and as I said I'm hoping for more plants. Thanks so much for your advice!

Santa Ana, CA(Zone 10b)

Pbs = pseudobulbs for those of us who can't remember how to spell.

Now, that I've looked up the definition of psuedobulbs (I know it's obvious), I can go look for them.... Thanks again!

Santa Ana, CA(Zone 10b)

You're welcome! I would suggest that you get yourself an inexpensive orchid book, just to keep yourself sane with the terms. Most have illustrations showing the parts of the plant. You can get basic ones at any nursery, or garden center at Home Depot, etc. Most of us have stacks of them, and I've yet to find one that tells me everything I want to know, but a glossary always helps. Orchids require a learning curve, even for lifelong gardeners. Fortunately, Cymbidiums are very forgiving in our climate.
I live in a neighborhood that has become increasingly Vietnamese in recent years, and orchids are a big part of their culture, so I continue to learn by observation. They have their own methods of growing Cyms, and I'm watching to see what works for them.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.