Optimara plants

South, TX

I have never had an Optimara before. I have three now. All very pretty and happy, all planted in semi hydro for a while now. Is there an easy way to find the name?

I added the picture in the next post with the pretty arrangement from hubby they came in.

Thumbnail by Sallysblooms
South, TX

This is the arrangement they came in.

Wow, I just noticed we can add more than one image now.

Northeast, MO(Zone 5b)

Hey Sally,

You can go on here :http://www.optimara.com/ and look to the left but they have so many that look alike it might be hard to do. Is there an ID # on the stake that came with them?

Very pretty violet :)

Connie

Chicago, IL(Zone 6a)

I still have some sticks from Optimara Violets with no ID on them... They make such beautiful Violets and I don't understand their inconsistant "labeling". It's just a shame.

South, TX

I think this one is Dali, a new one. What do you all think? I will show the others next. I think mine are all the new ones, makes it easy for me IF I am correct.

http://www.optimara.com/newvarieties.html

South, TX

Ok, this one is My Joy, one more to figure out.

South, TX

Wrote the name on the first one now, ha.

Yardley, PA

They are beautiful. My 2 optimaras are bloom machines.

South, TX

Nice to know. I have never had one. They seem to be strong growers, is that true? I was thinking about getting more. Please let me know if anyone has favorites. They are doing great in semi hydro.

Palm Bay, FL(Zone 9b)

Sally, the one you named 'Dali' is not "Dali". Here's a pic of Dali.

your violet is Anika.

Thumbnail by imadigger Thumbnail by imadigger
Palm Bay, FL(Zone 9b)

Sally, your My Joy could be MyDream or MyLove. They are all so similar and depends on the leaf shape and reverse color of leaf. You really can't give them a name. If you trade leaves, they still have to be traded as NOIDs with a note 'similiar to', There are so many mis-names Optimara violets out there, because people think they have the right name. The only way to be sure, is if you buy it from Optimara and it comes 'named'. Their violets are gorgeous, grow very well and will grow great in a window also. Enjoy your beauties.If you are on Facebook, check out Optimara's page.

Chicago, IL(Zone 6a)

I agree with you wholeheartedly, Eileen!

After I have seen a commercial display by Optimara upclose and in person, I can only say that their Violets are great growers and extremely heavy bloomers.

That makes the whole "Optimara-name-disaster" even worse! Almost everything in the grocery and big box stores by Optimara is mislabeled or not labeled at all. If itr is labeled, I still don't trust that I get the variety I paid for because chances are that it got "relabeled" along the way...

As Eileen said: If you want to be sure that you get the correct variety, get it from Optimara!

Olaf

South, TX

Imadigger, it is much lighter pink than the Anika. That is red and the flower is different.

Well, I guess I won't worry with names anyway. As long as they are strong and good bloomers, it is fine. They are doing great.

I may order some from Optimara.

Palm Bay, FL(Zone 9b)

Sally, I found this one and it may be yours:
Rhapsodie Gisela 11 - like I said earlier, some of their violets look almost identical, some lighter in color, some leaves darker. It's really hard to put a name on them, unless it comes directly from Optimar. Just enjoy them.

Thumbnail by imadigger
Montgomery, AL

You can purchase their named plants and leaves from Selectivegardener.com. I did that so I could be certain of the lineage. I think the Southern Belle's 'Isabelle' and 'Annabelle' are some of the best. Here's 'Isabelle'. I also love the Ever series. Here is 'Evergrace'

Thumbnail by jamiew Thumbnail by jamiew
South, TX

Imadigger, thanks. I will just enjoy, ha.

Jamie, Those are SO pretty!!!! I will order more I think. Thanks for the website, I have been there. Not a lot of plants.. Just wish they had more variegated and ruffles with Optimara. They have some but not a lot.

This message was edited Mar 2, 2012 3:02 PM

This message was edited Mar 2, 2012 3:03 PM

Yardley, PA

I love the Ever Series and just order plugs from Selective Gardner. I ordered Ever Harmony, Ever Grace and Ever Precious.

South, TX

Thanks. I have heard of all of these, just never had them. SallyO, the three I have love semi hydro. Didn't even notice the change, ha. Didn't even lose a bloom!

Yardley, PA

Wow, you have the magic touch! Mine need to go in a bag for about a month and look pretty tattered for awhile. They then come back and start blooming like crazy. Mine, too, love the semi-hydro. I love the semi-hydro as I just killed AV's so quickly in dirt.

South, TX

I know, it is crazy!!!! They show no shock at all! My home is air conditioned, not humid at all. Dry and cool. I am so glad it is easy for me since all of this is harder when ill. That is the reason to change to semi hydro. Easy.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.