Nutria

Emerald Isle, NC

Have a real nutria problem,they are in my ponds and eat my tropical water lilies and my lotues,as well as tunelling under my drive way and underming it. I am presently using traps with carrots ,that dont seem to be working only thing ive caught is four racons,Any one have any ideas on how to protect your aquatis in buckets in the ponds or how to get rid of them,Frustrated gardner

Jacksonville, FL(Zone 9a)

Wow, that sounds terrible, I hope they do not migrate down this way. Have you tried asking your local extension office or your DNR?

Summerville, SC(Zone 8a)

Wow indeed! Are they protected in your state? If DNR isn't helpful you might contact your local extension service.

Kure Beach, NC(Zone 9a)

I checked out NC's DENR website and Nutria aren't protected in any state.
I would definitely contact your county Extension Service, They can help you develop an eradication plan. These rodents are posing a big threat to the region from NC, up into Maryland.
Barb

Summerville, SC(Zone 8a)

Well here is a thought .. they are also considered good eating - so get out your rifle and go into the business! Louisiana is infested with them and has a whole industry for Nutria.

http://www.nutria.com/site14.php

Kure Beach, NC(Zone 9a)

X - I agree!

Emerald Isle, NC

Thanks for the responses cannot fire a fire arm on the island.I am presently trying to affixate them with carbon monxide,filled up all of there exit and entry holes with sand so I could see which tunnels are active,then ive attache a two inch by 15 ft water hose to my exhust mufler on my truck and ran it in the holes where I saw activity for 15 min.then I covered the holes back up with sand and will see if this did.. any good.Will try this for a week.However one of my other large pond has activity,so two two ft. nutria come out of this pond.will try the same approch there.I have killed one last year it was almost 30 inches long,teeth just like a beaver and looks like a beaver except fot its tail,which is long and thin.Did not no the were any good for eating,dont think ill try them probably be like eating posuum.LOL Hihgtider

Summerville, SC(Zone 8a)

I found some video's on YouTube.

How To Build A Spring Snare Trap.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v6axmQl3nNA

Also if you go to YouTube just type in nutria into the search box and there are all sorts of videos on hunting/trapping them.

Emerald Isle, NC

Wow thanks for the heads up,ill start building some ,ive done a lot of all types of hunting including shooting an aligator with a bow and arrow,but never did any type of trapping.This info, will be helpfull,will let you know if i have any gould luck,worked all over S C for mutual of omaha ,lived in WEST Columbia at the time 40 years ago.LOL Hightider

Summerville, SC(Zone 8a)

Hope it helps .. you might also call around to some soup kitchens and see if they would be interested in the meat.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.